Plant growth hormone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I know no one here will advocate the use of plant growth hormone in our tanks, but what about using it in say a separate tank to get the plant growing then transferring it to the main tank? I hear many people struggling to get their plants to grow just after getting their plants. I'm thinking of trying this as an experiment.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I've never heard of using hormones for plants.

I would think the problem will still occur of the plant adjusting to the conditions in this case having to adjust more than once.
My logic (assuming I get what your shooting for)
Step 1-you purchase plants (emersed or the tank conditions of another hobbyist)
Step 2-you temporarily place them in a hormone tank (assuming all things being equal lights, fertz, co2 etc. to it's final destination)
Step 3-you move to the permanent tank without hormones

I would think your end results would be the same had you gone from step 1 to step 3 because the plant will still have to adjust to the conditions of not having the hormone. Or is the point of the experiment that hormones work or that it has some benefit to transitioning plants?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I was thinking if you could get the plant to start actively growing then transfer it to the main tank, it might establish better. I know there are hormones that gardeners use when they plant new plants or plant cuttings.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Uh those are rooting hormones and would be washed off in an underwater situation. It might help with a dry start method, but I'm not thinking it is really needed. I don't know of a plant hormone available for top growth.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
CO2, high lights, and ferts would do a better job then hormones.

And of course the right kind of plant helps too.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Ethylene (a gas) is one of the most common plant hormones that triggers many different processes. It's involved with the the transitioning from emmersed to immersed growth.

How about injecting it into the water like CO2 to see if it helps?

AUXIN's (rooting hormone) will likely stunt the growth of the new plants depending upon the species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store