Super shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
I have no experience with those but I would be very suspicious /not believe that they never need water changes so I don't know how well I would trust the information. Also, he doesn't give a species name.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
The claims are pretty unsubstantiated, but it's possible they are pretty tough. Ask Huapala... He actually lives in Hawaii and is very knowledgable.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Opae Ula shrimp are not really rare, but are known for being very hardy. They are the shrimp that are put in those ecocubes and originally come from the tidal pools of Hawaii. I have no experience with them, but from what I have read they can survive a wide variety of water conditions and are a very interesting and unique shrimp. I don't know that they actually live 20 years and I would still change their water every so often, but they are definitely a low maintenance shrimp. For $30 I would definitely try them out if I had an extra tank.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I wonder if there would be any negative effects if put in a tank with RCS.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Shouldnt have any problems with keeping them with RCS as long they are acclimated well or already being kept in FW, they're not aggressive and can't interbreed.

I've thought about trying to breed them as feeders for SW since they'd live longer in the SW and should be more healthy eating then the RCS I use now

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I saw a similar posting in the Boston area too. But for a freshwater prawn that gets a supposed 12inches+.

If you have a spare tank and would like to try them out i say go for it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
mahalo for the kind words zorronet. These shrimp are rare in the wild now because 95% of their habitat (anchialine ponds fed through undrground dikes) is populated by exotic species like tilapia and minnows which prey on the opae ula (red shrimp). There are reports of twenty year plus life spans in captivity. Many people catch these little guys and raise them in tanks then sell them which has created a market for them and in turn has helped with the decline in population, although it is still a problem in the wild. My boss has had a little class cube (= to one cup water)with 5 opae ula on his desk. I will ask him again but i am pretty sure he has not changed the water in 5 years. Not that i advise doing this.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks Huapala for the info. I may get them and put them in my old betta tank. I don't have a refractometer, so I'm not sure how to create brackish water. Guess I'll google that. I'll investigate plants that can grow in brackish water. I can't believe they live that long! And 5 years without water change, wow!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store