Feeding reedfish in community tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
So I just bought a rope fish for my 75g community tank and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get food down to him. I have angels, neons, red phantoms, harlequins, Kuhlis and cories. I've read up on what they eat, but my angels will go mad over all of it! Beef heart, blood worms, crickets, grass shrimp, even the shrimp pellets! One person said use frozen shrimp but my angels would love that too. How am I supposed to keep him well fed if I can't even get it down to him!!!!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Target feed where possible with a baster. It'll make sure that he at least gets something.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Target feed where possible with a baster. It'll make sure that he at least gets something.
Thanks! Not a bad idea, should I feed him after or before the lights go off?

Make sure you have a super good tank cover... these guys are deluxe escape artists.
It's not SUPER good, but it should be adequate. I also did something that I think a lot of people don't think about doing. DROP THE WATER LEVEL!! :) When they escape it's because they were able to slither over the lip and side of the tank. If you drop the water level, they can't simply slither over. Hypothetically speaking....

slayer5590

AC Members
Nov 5, 2011
Ft Worth TX
I don't think a ropefish is a good fit with your neons and khulis and if you leave the shrimp in large enough chunks your angels won't be able to eat it

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
I don't think a ropefish is a good fit with your neons and khulis
I have heard both ways, "they will eat tiny fish" and "I've kept them in a guppy tank and it never touched them". I figured it was worth a shot, plus if I keep him well fed ideally he won't want a mid night snack!!! :)

if you leave the shrimp in large enough chunks your angels won't be able to eat it
That's what I was thinking, I don't know if they would leave it alone long enough for him to get at it.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
you could also try something like omega one sinking pellets in the small size
One word! Nightcrawlers! Angels don't touch them, loaches don't touch them, cories dont...cories might, but he loves them. Threw in part of one and within 15 seconds he found it and went running off with it. Had to steal it back though because the piece was too big.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I'm bumping this thread because I have a reedfish/ropefish, and I'm wondering about longevity. I've had mine 20 plus years, and now he's not looking or acting well. I had to relocate my fish, and they've been in their new tank for about two weeks. I set the tank up, planted it, and let it run for about a week before moving my fish. The relocation was an emergency move.

To answer the original question, mine took to shrimp pellets, and was an active feeder during the day. I kept him with a tinfoil barb, bumblebee catfish, and clown pleco. No problems, and he'd often share a hiding spot with the catfish.

I've heard the escape artist problem, and never had that problem with mine. He was content to hide inside a decoration most of the time. However, I had a lowered water level too. Overall he's one of the easiest fish I've ever kept.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store