Fire eel diet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazyman229

AC Members
Sep 16, 2009
i have a year old 6in fire eel that only gets bloodworms. can he stay in the forever, i don't want to do worms or raw shrimp.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Fire Eels should be fed eathworms or blackworms (live), but also foods like raw shrimp - sorry that you don't want to deal with such foods, but those are what they eat... perhaps you should rehome him? I have to ask, what size tank is it in right now?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
110? Cool, I was worried there because lots of places sell them small and people don't realize how big they get (2ft max). Found some more info that I wasn't aware of regarding feeding, on the linked info page of AC:

"Bloodworms and Tubifex as Juveniles, Nightcrawlers and other larger food as adults. Will eat fish small enough to fit into its mouth, so choose tankmates wisely. Will also take insect larvae, beef heart, and prawns." - An AC Post About Them

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
3ft? Whoops, I really suck at Metric haha.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
after thought i have decided to change my fish going with angelfish
Oh cool :D Just a warning, Angels will eat anything that fits in their mouth so avoid smaller tetra and rasbora :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store