Breeding hoplos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nikirushka

AC Members
Jan 28, 2013
Right then. Tell me everything you guys know about breeding and raising hoplos (m. thoracata specifically)!

Well, mostly the raising - they seem to be getting the hang of the breeding themselves :)

Setup is a 30g sort-of amazon biotope, covered with water lettuce. 6 hoplos (4m, 2f), 7 gold barbs and one common bristlenose. One male hoplo has built a lovely nest using beech leaves and is guarding it gently from the other fish. I can see eggs on the top.

At this point I don't want to do anything - my fry tank still has juvenile cories in it, so I'm not set up to raise anything else right now and I'm waiting on another 30g setup which would be better suited anyhoo (thinking I will move the hoplos into that so they have their own tank). Should have that in the next couple of weeks, hopefully.

I just want to get to grips with what to do and how to do it, really :)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
A brief google search says that the male will become more aggressive and will probably eat the eggs and fry, so if you want to breed them you *may* need to set up a tank for it. Other than that I can tell you that any other fish in there will attempt to eat the eggs and fry, you probably won't have any survivors from this spawning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store