African Frog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
Im thinking of getting a African Frog. I have a fresh water 29 gallon tank. I have a beta, 2 blue gouramis, 2 bala sharks, a crab and we have 2 missing clown loach (presumably dead). Would any of those fish attack the frog and kill it? Also assuming they wont, what do these frogs eat and any special needs of them. My tank is always 79-80 degrees. Any help would be appreciated.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
clown loaches are very sensitive to water peramters it may have jumped. or died. :( a shame if he is dead they are so nice.

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the loach but does anyone got any info on the frog?

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
The frog would be great! I have one in a community with many fish and it is very busy, but my frog is fat & happy. My only concern is that of the crab. The frog will stay on the bottom about 60% of the time, i am worried the crab will pinch him.....

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
My father was saying that the fish would bite its legs of and stuff. I dont think the frog would be hurt by the crab. Now what do you feed your frog? Normal fish food?

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I have heard at the lfs and on here crabs and frogs don't do well. When they are together.

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
called petsmart and petco. The person at petco... Said the crab would eat my frog if the frog was small enough but if the frog was 6" then it would eat my beta. Then the petsmart schmuck said if there were not enough hiding places then there might be some damage to the frog but after I get it in the beginning there will be some chunks missing and bits and pieces but after that it will be fine.

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
called petsmart and petco. The person at petco... Said the crab would eat my frog if the frog was small enough but if the frog was 6" then it would eat my beta. Then the petsmart schmuck said if there were not enough hiding places then there might be some damage to the frog but after I get it in the beginning there will be some chunks missing and bits and pieces but after that it will be fine.

JBTodd

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2003
FL
Visit site
I wouldn't get the African frog. generally, the species sold under this name gets rather large. I thought about getting one at one point, but I decided not to after I talked to a friend the used to breed them. She said that it might eat the fish in the aquarium. If you want to get a frog, put it in a seperate tank. Good luck!

Jonathan

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
There are two kinds of frogs commonly sold under the name of African frog.

The African DWARF Frog is small and green and doesn't grow that large ( I think around 2" max but I may be off). these frogs are generally pretty docile and suitable for a community tank.

The African CLAWED Frog is white and has, you guessed it, claws. These frogs grow up to 6" and get mean. They can and likely will eat any other fish smaller than it and at the very least can wreak havoc with their claws.

Its up to you to pick the right one as they're often sold next to each other if no in the same tank and you can't trust store personnel to tell the difference as both are about the same size in the store. I belive another characterstic is that the clawed frog has both eyes on top of its head while the dwarf frog has eyes on either side of its head. I might have that reversed but I don't think so.

The crab would be my biggest concern with a dwarf frog. The crab really should be in a brackish water tank with rocks or wood to allow him to get out of the water from time to time anyway. I'm not sure the other fish in the tank would care too much about the frog but you may have problems feeding the frog in there because they have a reputation for being horrible at finding their food.

Do a search here on Dwarf Frogs and you'll find a lot of info.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store