Cycling brackish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Could I use my filter pad from my FW tank to seed bacteria for a new brackish tank? Not sure if FW BB is the same for brackish water. Thanks.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Whats the salinity? I think it'll work with low scale brackish, it wont with higher end brackish though.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, I'm not yet sure how brackish this tank will be. I just set it up with FW in it with my seeded filter pad. It's going to be home for the Opae Ula shrimp that I plan to buy from CL. I asked him is salinity but he hasn't told me yet. I suspect he doesn't know? I won't know either when I get them because I don't have a refractometer... I'm just going buy marine salt and use my TDS meter to match his water. Hoping that is close enough for these "tough" shrimp? I'll bring a sample of this water to my LFS and see if they can tell me the salinity. I am curious about that. I'm hoping TDS and salinity are related by a constant value within the brackish range.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
TDS and salinity are unrelated, haven't checked lately but used to be able to get refractometers off ebay for about $25.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
$25, well that's not that expensive. May have to add this to my growing aquarium gadget shelf!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Would something like the Instant Ocean hydrometer be good enough for my purpose?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store