How to reduce flow of Fluval U2 internal filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Hi. I have a Fluval U2 in my 10g now. I think it's meant to be used in up to 30g tanks. I have a 10. So, I would like to figure out how I can reduce the outflow. I thought of not using the bio-media and putting more sponge material in the middle. Would that do anything?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
U2 has some flexibility in flow control in perms of output positioning.. have you played with that to see if it make a diff ?
I often run over rated filters on many of my tanks flow is usually not a real issue.
the filters usually slow down in time especially after some gunk build up in them ;)

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I've got the output on the lower output, and it seems less powerful, although more powerful than I would probably like for the plants. I thought more about putting more sponge into the media section of the filter and I thought that that might put too much of a load on the impeller/motor.

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I don't have one of these filters but could you put a small sponge on the end of the output to diffuse the output? You might have to zap strap it to keep it in place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store