Fighting or Playing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cgbru22

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2014
Hello,

I currently have a comet goldfish about 3" long and today bought a 2" black moor goldfish. I understand they are two type of goldfish and generally are not put together. However, I have a 20 gallon tank (I know this is a good size for one fish) but my comet generally hides under a fake log majority of the time. I was feeding the comet twice a day morning and night, I would watch it eat all the food to ensure I was not making the tank dirty with extra food. I clean the tank once a week. I have a 20 gal filter on the back (i change filter once a month but rinse it cleaner half way though). Soo... I put the black moor in today and they seemed to be getting along. I read another forum on here about a similar setup. My question is do gold fish "kiss" my comet "kisses" but does not seem to be nipping as my moor does not flinch? The comet fallows the moor obsessively on occasion. The moors tail looks ok, no holes or tears. They do split up and the comet will take one side of the tank and moor the other. Are the kisses and obsessive fallowing considered fighting? What does goldfish fighting look like? Like i said the moor appears to be ok. I read that goldfish are social, My comet has been by itself until now so is the Comet just happy to see someone or territorial? I know comets get BIG so eventually will be moved or re-homed. I do not want to risk the moor as they are a cute fish and would be a shame on killing it (will return the moor if I have too). I have been feeding the comet in one corner so it always looks to that corner. I fed the moor in a different corner and ate just fine. I have never had goldfish so I am a very new.

Thanks for the replies and help

-C

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Hello and welcome!

From the way you describe it they are playing. They can do that to get to know one another. It is normal for fish to obsessively follow one another around sometimes, too. Maybe they really like each other. You are right to watch for damage. When fish fight it is very obvious that one is trying to hurt the other. If you see them kiss and bite one another's mouths and try to tear at one another it is fighting biting and not kissing. If you start to see injuries it is a problem. If one chases the other all the time it is a problem (generally a fixable problem). If one fish chases the other so much that the other fish tries regularly to jump out it is a problem. Goldfish are generally not built to fight so it is hard for them to really hurt one another.

If anything changes please post updates. People here like talking about fish for many reasons including just for the fun of it. We'll be happy to read about updates and follow up questions.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Nate

cgbru22

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2014
Nate,

Thanks for responding! It does help. I guess I was just uptight. They seem to be fine today, the comet is not fallowing the moor anymore. Just because the moor was new the comet must have been excited. They are happily swimming around. Fed them this morning and I figured out that the moor likes to feed up top (flakes) and my comet bottom (pellets) the comet wont swim to the top, its not sick it is very active, it just likes the bottom. The moor also got about 5 pellets as well. I think until the comet outgrows the tank they will be happy and be able to coexist together. I will still keep an eye on the moors tail fins though!

Thanks again for the reply!

-C

whitecatbite

AC Members
Apr 21, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Real Name
Auden
Hello!!!! I agree with Pinkey-- I bet that the comet was very lonely until the moor was introduced and they are just checking each other out. The comet is probably super happy!!!! I hope that they become the best of friends :) Also make sure not to disturb the filter toooo much, otherwise you may kill beneficial bacteria. If the filter cartridge gets too clogged up with debris, just rinse it out with old tank water and put it back in. The cartridges don't need to be replaced very often-- maybe every few months at the most!
Good luck!!! The little fish sound very cute!! Do they have names?

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Well, I agree with most everything that has been said except the part about cleaning your filters. I rinse my filters out weekly when I do my water changes. Just washing them out with warm tap water will NOT kill the bacteria growing in them. Them germs are way tougher than that. It just cleans all the poopy buildup so the water flowing through them get cleaned better.

Frostbite1084

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
Unless it's well water, typical tap water will instantly kill all bacteria on filter sponges. Bacteria from a fish tank dies immediately from chlorine.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Well, I agree with most everything that has been said except the part about cleaning your filters. I rinse my filters out weekly when I do my water changes. Just washing them out with warm tap water will NOT kill the bacteria growing in them. Them germs are way tougher than that. It just cleans all the poopy buildup so the water flowing through them get cleaned better.
Rinsing filter sponges out with chlorinated water CAN kill bacteria growing on them. Will it completely wipe out any and all beneficial bacteria on the media? Possibly not, but why take the chance?

Unless it's well water, typical tap water will instantly kill all bacteria on filter sponges. Bacteria from a fish tank dies immediately from chlorine.
This depends on a few factors. Chlorine oxidizes organic material in water, including bacteria. However, it may not be instantly lethal to any and all bacteria. Little floating bits of organic material in the water column can use up the chlorine before it becomes an issue for bacteria and fish if the organic material is heavy enough. In other words, the dirtier the tank, the less effect chlorine will potentially have on the inhabitants.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store