Male or female?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Looking to buy a mate for my GBR. Is my GBR male for female? Based on some blue scales in the dark spot, I'm thinking mine is female?

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Looks female to me. Males usually have longer fibs and your has short ones.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks, wanted a second opinion!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Not sure now, again. I went to my LFS and showed this picture to the guy who is very knowledgeable (I trust him) and without hesitation said it's a MALE. He said the dorsal fin is what one should look at. Didn't buy a fish though since their GBRs didn't look so nice.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I tend to think that is a male in your photo. I'm attaching a photo of a pair, male on top, female on bottom cleaning the rock.

Finding a mate after the fact is not always successful, as this fish selects their own mates. The male may not accept any female. I had this occur with the closely-related Bolivian Ram.

Just for interest, am also adding a photo of a pair of wild caught fish. Generations of tank raising this species has lessened the colouration and resistance to disease, partly compensated for (or attempts to) by "German Blue" and similar trends.

Byron.

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi pair1.jpg Mikrogeophagus ramrirezi wild pair.jpg

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thank Byron, mine doesn't have the pink belly so I'm leaning toward male now...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I would lean towards male as well.

the black spot is solid in males . females you can see the blue speckles in and around the fringes of the spot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store