75g Stocking Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captfinny

Registered Member
Apr 16, 2014
Hey All,

I have a 75g setup and I'd like to get a few more fish. Looking for opinions on current stock as well as what I'm missing.

Currently:
1 Silver Molly
3 Black Mollies
12 Buenos Aires Tetras
3 Bala Sharks (I know they get huge, I'm building a huge tank in the basement)
3 Blue Gourami (Three Spot)

Thinking of getting:
3 Opaline Gourami
3-4 Cory Cats

I'm curious if I made any mistakes so far. The BA tetras have me worried, as I've read they are terrible nippers, but so far no problems. I really like the gourami (and any larger sized fish) since they're my kids favorite (probably because of the size).

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
A caution on the gourami (adding more). These are the same species, Trigopodus trichopterus, which comes in several different colourings/patterns such as Blue, Gold, Opaline, Three-Spot, Cosby, etc. As these are all the same species, males will be territorial with each other. Two females per male is the usual guide, so with for example two males, have 4-5 females. I don't know what you now have with the three "Blue" but you may be at the limit. If for example you now have one (or more) males, chances are he/they will not accept more males.

Corys need a larger group; five is minimum, but with space more will be much better for the fish. In a 75g, I would say 12 or more corys; same or mixed species, but if mixed try to have a few of each species. Some species prefer their own, others less so. But having several of whatever will mean healthier fish.

As for the Buenos Aires Tetra, Hyphessobrycon anisitsi, the fin nipping is well documented. That doesn`t mean they always will. Having a large group as you do here (12) may help to avoid this, but keep watch just in case.

Byron.

captfinny

Registered Member
Apr 16, 2014
Thanks Byron!

Two females per male is the usual guide, so with for example two males, have 4-5 females. I don't know what you now have with the three "Blue" but you may be at the limit. If for example you now have one (or more) males, chances are he/they will not accept more males.
I asked for females, but I'm pretty sure they are all Males. I've been studying their dorsal fins to try and sex them, but it's pretty tough. Maybe I could post some pictures here?

Corys need a larger group; five is minimum, but with space more will be much better for the fish. In a 75g, I would say 12 or more corys; same or mixed species, but if mixed try to have a few of each species. Some species prefer their own, others less so. But having several of whatever will mean healthier fish.
I thought 3 was the minimum for Corys. If it's 5 then I'll get at least 5, probably 12 though. I'd like to get mixed species, so maybe 3 or 4 of each. I need some more action on the bottom of my tank (black blasting sand).

What about other Big (or bigger) fish? The family loves the bigger fish (I was going to do a Cichlid tank, but not yet) so I'm looking for big guys...

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I asked for females, but I'm pretty sure they are all Males. I've been studying their dorsal fins to try and sex them, but it's pretty tough. Maybe I could post some pictures here?
Males of this species (whatever variety) are larger [though only by comparison to females] and have pointed dorsal and anal fins. Post photos if you can, one ofus may be able to tell. A good way to differentiate is by behaviours; males will be pushing one another around more than females.

I thought 3 was the minimum for Corys. If it's 5 then I'll get at least 5, probably 12 though. I'd like to get mixed species, so maybe 3 or 4 of each. I need some more action on the bottom of my tank (black blasting sand).
You want no less than five or six corys. More is always better, these are highly social fish and they interact a great deal, plus they will feel threatened in small numbers. But when you have the space as here, there is no reason to have plenty of them. They will be much more active and in better health.

What about other Big (or bigger) fish? The family loves the bigger fish (I was going to do a Cichlid tank, but not yet) so I'm looking for big guys...
Given what you have and intend already, "bigger" has to be carefully planned. Fish compatibility has many factors to it.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store