Snail help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bunnybear

AC Members
Feb 17, 2014
I have a mystery snail, I've had him for a while and it kind of looks like his shell in cracked a bit. Is there something I can put in the water or a product I can buy to help it repair or should I just leave it? I'm not completely sure if it actually is cracked or chipped cause it looked like that when I got him just over a month ago but looks like it might have gotten worse since he got bigger and regrew his shell.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
A pic would help a lot. What you are describing may be a deficiency condition commonly referred to as etching. It's typically caused by a calcium deficiency. If this is the case, you can put a calcium source in the tank for your snail to nom. I used part of a cuttle bone in my apple snail tank. It won't repair existing damage to the shell, but will ensure that additions to the shell won't show calcium deficiency as the snail grows. High-calcium greens will also provide needed shell-building material.

Mark

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
What is your pH?

Some snails develop fissure cracks during growth spurts. With adequate calcium in their diets the cracks will calcify and they should be fine, although they may never look pretty. IME the males have the most problems with cracks not healing properly because of constant stress to the shell from mating. I had a female whose fissure crack only grew as she grew, but fortunately it never opened up and it did calcify. She had the fugliest shell, but she was a big, healthy girl and lived to a ripe old age. Spinach, kale, and collard greens (boiled) are good sources of calcium. I give Caltrate supplements every few days and they come running for it, especially the females after laying eggs. There are also some calcium-rich pellet foods for snails & shrimp. Mine love a certain brand, not sure I can mention it here.

Additional info here: http://www.applesnail.net/content/various/snail_disease.php

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store