BGA in filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I have 2 HOBs running on my 28g bowfront. One of them an Aquaclear has had BGA growing in it and recently started to get quite clogged up with it. I took it down about 2 weeks ago and basically sterilized everything except the biomedia. That I just rinsed really thoroughly. I checked today and it seems the BGA is coming back.

Now, it very rarely spreads outside of the filter. And if it does it is usually just to some java moss in the tank. I remove it and then won't see it outside the filter for a while. So should I attack the filter again and this time include the biomedia, treat the whole tank for BGA, or just leave it be?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
I would say it depends how much it is aggravating you. The BGA is a bacteria so I would be nervous about treating the whole tank as it might cause a problem with your cycling bacteria. My main concern would be to make sure the filter does not jam up or overheat. Also, depending on the stock of the tank you might be able to remove the filter and see if that solves the problem. If you decide to break down and sterilize the biomedia then it sounds like it should work as it seems isolated to that filter.

Best of luck.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Does the sun shine on your HOB? In my tank, BGA grew where there was a lot of light but not in dimly lit areas. If so, I'd cover the HOB with foil. I've treated my whole tank with antibiotic couple times. It did not affect by BB.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
It is not good to use antibiotics unless they are specifically essential for a fish disease. Cyanobacteria should be dealt with by natural means. I see it in my 70g, the only tank of seven it ever appears in.

Cyanobacteria is due to organics, in the presence of light. What is your water change schedule? And do you vacuum the substrate? Is the filter media regularly rinsed? What is the nitrate level?

Byron.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
also what ios the photo period (how long are the tank lights on?)

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
The filter does get some light from a window behind it. The shade is down 24/7 but it does still let some through. I change 60-70% of the water once every week to week and a half depending on how crazy work gets. 8 hour photoperiod from the tank lights but those don't overflow light into the filter. And I'll admit the gravel could prlly use a bit more of a vacuuming. It's tough to get around the plants though, it's fairly heavily planted.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
It is also a flow and low oxygen issue. At least it was for me. It makes me think your filter isnt working quite right. You say its an aquaclear….what media and how much is in there?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
It is also a flow and low oxygen issue. At least it was for me. It makes me think your filter isnt working quite right. You say its an aquaclear….what media and how much is in there?
I believe it's an AC50. And the media is just the AC sponge and the biomedia it comes with. Nothing more. I squeeze the sponge out probably every 4-6 weeks. Oh and there's a prefilter sponge, squeezed out just as often. Flow seems ok through the filter. And the bga came back immediately after a thorough cleaning where flow was I guess at its best.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Oh and not sure about nitrates I'm not home to test at the moment. The tank is understocked and planted though so I doubt they are too high.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I believe it's an AC50. And the media is just the AC sponge and the biomedia it comes with. Nothing more. I squeeze the sponge out probably every 4-6 weeks. Oh and there's a prefilter sponge, squeezed out just as often. Flow seems ok through the filter. And the bga came back immediately after a thorough cleaning where flow was I guess at its best.

I would rinse the sponge and filter media thoroughly every week during the water change. Cyano is due to organics, nothing else; water flow is often suggested but this actually makes no difference if the organics are not high in the first place. Like you, I have had cyano right under the filter return, in areas of minimal to no real current, at the surface, on the substrate...all due to organics and light. I know it has occurred due solely to dirty filters, as one time it appeared, I remembered that it had been a few months since I last cleaned the canister, and when I did it that week the cyano was gone and did not return.

I asked previously about nitrates because high organics often show as high nitrate, but not necessarily; it is just one more check.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store