What do you do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
What do you do when you go to buy fish from a LFS or anywhere to buy fish? I thought maybe this could help the less experienced or learning hobbyist pick better stock.

Before i go i do some research on fish that i would like. I identify which species are the most compatable together and which are better off alone. I then find the species i want and go to the store.

Once im at the store i see if the fish is in stock. If it is, i look in the tank to see if anythig is out of the norm( dead fish, torn fins, closed fins, wide open mouth, fuzz, etc). If everything in the tank checks out i then look at the neighboring tanks.

Why you ask? Because it is more cost effective to have multiple tank running with one filter system.

If everything on those tanks check out, it is safe to ASSUME the fish you want are healthy. I say assume because you never know what can happen once the fish is at your house.

By this point you should be hone with your new fish and about to put him in your tank. If you can avoid putting him in tanks with other fish do so. Best to quarentine the fish in a seperate tank.

Hopefully other can add on to this if i missed anything( i probably did). Hope this helps someone out there!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think quarantine should be considered optional (as always, do as I say, not as I do)

and having a good reference site bookmarked on a smartphone is always useful when considering new species; There are plenty of times you may see a fish you've never heard of, or wouldn't expect to see, so proactive planning is not really a possibility.

and when buying plants, a bleach or PP dip can go a long way to prevent algae or pest snails.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
When I get home I check the parameters and TDS of the water in the bag. If it's way different than my tank, I do very small water changes in the bag to get it close to my tank. This may take hours if TDS is way different. I had a case when the TDS was about 20 times greater than my tank.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Most of the time I goto the LFS I have no specific purchase in mind, if I find something I like but don't know about I'll google it on my phone or tablet. Plant wise the stores i goto are always algae free occasional ramshorn, pond, mts hitchhikers which i dont worry about my tanks all have them already, so I just plant them. I try to QT when I can and certain fish i wont buy if I can't QT. I need to pick up another 20L next $1 sale. Once home fish get floated for 20+ minutes and scooped into QT if its available, regular tank if not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store