new here

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I'm new to this site yet I'v had many fish before and have even got some to breed. I currently have just two platys, the female is a panda and the male is a bumblebee, I also have a golden snail. I got them just two days ago and have them in a 12 gal. tank which I've had a lot of success with when I had my last bunch of platys.

The last time I had fish I had all Bumblebee Platys and a female Beta to control the breeding, she did a good job too. I've heard a lot of people say that you should never ever put any Beta in a tank with other fish, but that's only half right in my book. You can put a female Beta in with other fish and most of the time none of the fish mind since the female Betas have been known to stay together. For controlling the breeding she would eat the frys that would have been countless in no time, if you know platys, they breed like crazy.

I have seen over the past couple of days that my snail will lay a really small string of eggs with maybe 8-10 eggs on it. The string always disappears so I think that the fish eat them and I don't think that the eggs would hatch anyways since it's just her. This is the first snail I've ever had but I think that she's about 1yr since she is around 1 inch and wikipedia says that these snails live to be about 5 so if all goes well I could have a 5 inch shell, that's if 1 year= 1 inch of shell growth.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn here!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Welcone to AC! Any pictures of your fish or tank?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
Welcone to AC! Any pictures of your fish or tank?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks for the welcome. I don't have any pictures of my tank or fish, I might wait awhile so the plant can grow, it's still a bulb right now.

WhiskeySunday

AC Members
Aug 18, 2013
Los Angles, CA
Real Name
Chris
Welcome! I too have livebearers (sailfin mollies and swordtails). About your snail laying eggs, some snails are known to be able to have both sex organs and fertilize their own eggs.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I believe that this type of snail has only one set of "goods". I have a golden snail and a google search said that they are one gender or the other but if I see little snails running around the tank then I'll know I was wrong.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome aboard!

Your betta comment is partially correct. A single male betta can be happily kept in a community tank, and you can keep a group of female bettas by themselves or in a community tank.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
the male Beta that had would try to attack any fish it could see even it was in another tank, he just had to see it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I had two different male bettas (different times) in a planted 10g with a few other fish. Never had a problem. I can depend on the betta and the setting.

Currently have 4 female bettas in a 55g with a quite a few other fish. No issues.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I have never had any issues with the female betas. I hope my platys have some frys soon because I'd love to get a female beta in the tank but I need the frys to be big enough to not get eaten.
I have a female panda and a male bumblebee, I think the frys might look cool.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I got a cheap adjustable heater, what would be a good temp for platys a snail? I'm thinking that 75-77 F would be a good range for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store