Betta laying on substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
My betta was laying motionless on the sand floor when I got home today and still in the same spot several minutes later. Thought he was dead and went for the net. As soon as I touched him he went wild and swam around, surfaced a couple of times, but eventually went right back to the sand bed laying completely still. Is he dying?

Sent from my HTC6435LRA using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Not a good sign, check parameters and do a WC accordingly.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
What's the temp of your tank? If it's too cool fish will slowdown and if you want to you may put it in it's own dish or shallow tank so it can surface easier, the rest may help, if it's sick it wouldn't hurt to keep it on it's own.

betta blue

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2017
I had my betta in a 15 gallon tank but they sold me a tank that was tall- didn't know that was bad- so just bought a 10 gallon long tank vs high tank and used white sand with 50% original water from the 15 gallon tank. Now it is super cloudy. I was going to let it sit for 24 hours but I'm worried the sand might be an issue for him. The Petco employee that told me I shouldn't have the tall tank (btw was a Petco employee that SOLD me the tall tank) said natural white sand was best for bettas but now wondering if I should have just done the store bought rocks. Seems like no matter how much I read about bettas and try to do the right thing, I keep upsetting him and he keeps going to the bottom and staying there for days. Yes, I cycle my water weekly, yes I have a light, filtration system (not too strong) and a heater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store