Stocking 15g Column????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
So a friend just gave me one of the Aqueon 15g column tanks. I know I need small fish, I also know this is a some what difficult tank to stock. I was thinking Celestial Danio, Hengel's Rasbora, and a Betta. That is just an idea and I am completely open to recommendations. Just to say now, want to try and stay away from neons. Already have them and I like to make each tank different. I was also thinking maybe some sword tails? It's going to be planted, no fake ornaments. Thanks guys!!!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I feel like this tank would look pretty cool with celestial pearls danios and some shrimp. You want each tank to be unique so find a species/color of shrimp you havent seen before and try them out.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
I feel like this tank would look pretty cool with celestial pearls danios and some shrimp. You want each tank to be unique so find a species/color of shrimp you havent seen before and try them out.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The only shrimp I think my lfs has is ghost and salt water. They may have amano shrimp, but I'm not sure. That could be very pretty though.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
So a friend just gave me one of the Aqueon 15g column tanks. I know I need small fish, I also know this is a some what difficult tank to stock. I was thinking Celestial Danio, Hengel's Rasbora, and a Betta. That is just an idea and I am completely open to recommendations. Just to say now, want to try and stay away from neons. Already have them and I like to make each tank different. I was also thinking maybe some sword tails? It's going to be planted, no fake ornaments. Thanks guys!!!
I'll assume you know the Betta would be on its own, not with those (or other) fish. With this understanding, these three options individually would be fine. The Celestial Danio would be a good match for your water, if I remember the params from before correctly.

Column tanks are well suited to less active fish that browse more than swim. This is why many of the pencilfish are well suited, so there is another option.

Byron.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Swordtails get much too big for a 15 column tank. My swordtails got to be 5" including the sword. Footprint for a 15gal column is 12 x 12". You dont want anything over 3" in that size of a tank for sure and nothing that is too active of a swimmer like blue eyed rainbows. Guppies or endlers would do well though. CPDs for the lower level and endlers or boraras sp. rasboras would work well. A betta might be ok with other fish, but it would depend on that betta's personality.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Yes, I missed the swordtail mention previously, glad someone caught that.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
I'll assume you know the Betta would be on its own, not with those (or other) fish. With this understanding, these three options individually would be fine. The Celestial Danio would be a good match for your water, if I remember the params from before correctly.

Column tanks are well suited to less active fish that browse more than swim. This is why many of the pencilfish are well suited, so there is another option.

Byron.
Actually I thinking of keeping the betta in addition. A female perhaps? The tank is actually going to be set up at my girlfriend's. I don't have the exact numbers, but it is softer and more acidic then mine is. On that note, it rules out swordtails or other live bearers anyway.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Actually I thinking of keeping the betta in addition. A female perhaps? The tank is actually going to be set up at my girlfriend's. I don't have the exact numbers, but it is softer and more acidic then mine is. On that note, it rules out swordtails or other live bearers anyway.
I would not add any betta in with these small fish. The possible trouble works both ways.

Soft water opens up lots of options with the pencilfish, miniature Boraras species rasbora, etc. This is a type of tank I have never done (the columnar with such fish) but I have seen such in stores and they can be very effective. Lots of small branches with the plants. Lovely.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
I would not add any betta in with these small fish. The possible trouble works both ways.

Soft water opens up lots of options with the pencilfish, miniature Boraras species rasbora, etc. This is a type of tank I have never done (the columnar with such fish) but I have seen such in stores and they can be very effective. Lots of small branches with the plants. Lovely.
I'm thinking some wisteria in the middle with some other plants. Not sure at the moment. As to the fish, since it's my gf's anything pretty would work. She is not very picky.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Knuggs has shrimp for sale. Orange shrimp would look cool in there and have a low bio load. Wisteria will take up a lot of the swim space just to note. Rotala might be a better choice for height and width.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store