Skunk Loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I picked up 4 Skunk Loaches, since they looked neat and cute. When I got home, I looked them up and they do best in groups of 5 or more to spread out aggression among themselves and should be kept with fast swimming fish. I put them in my densely planted 20g with my Harlequins, which seem to fight back. I still have a Hillstream Loach but the skunks leave him be, since he chased them off. Mostly the skunks go after each other and leave most fish alone. Might add 2 more when theres more at the LFS. I might take the betta out and put him in a different tank.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I have never seen skunk loaches before. The name suggest they would be neat. Any pics?

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
This species, Yasuhikotakia morleti as it is now known, is very active and boistrous, to the point of frequently being very aggressive and nasty. It deserves a spacious aquarium with plenty of hiding spots (chunks of wood with tunnels are ideal) so it can bekept in a group of at least 5 or 6, otherwise some members may be relentlesslypicked on and succumb to stress and injury. Even so, some fish in this specieswill decide to pursue other fish in the aquarium to their eventual demise. It should never be combined with the similarly-shaped Botia species loaches, but othersemi-aggressive loaches such as Syncrossus species are possible. Uppertankmates must be robust, hardy and active, such as medium barbs, largerrasbora and danios.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Only fish the skunks leave alone are the Krib fry, most of the rasboras, the hillstream, cories and betta. I have lots of caves in the tank. The loaches seemed to have calmed down. I would put them in my 37 but I have kuhlis, bulldog pleco, and bumblebee catfish....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I kept skunks for ~6 months a long, long time ago. They were cute, fast, food aggressive fin nippers we had to rehome as soon as we could finally catch them. I'm guessing they are small now but they are too active &, at ~4 inches when mature, too large for a 20. I would keep them with danios & maybe other aggressive loaches in a larger tank, say a 55g at minimum if I decide to try again someday. I'm worried about your other fish surviving long term. We tried several different tankmates including an African cichlid, a Jack Dempsey & several other fish that were easier to catch than the skunks. Giant danios seemed like the best but they were prone to jumping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store