Salted Guppy tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

12stewart

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2014
Manitoba
I am presently treating Ich with increased temperature and salt. My Fluval E50 will not increase to the desired temperature, nor anything over 77, so I have added box-ich to the treatment batch.

My question is, how to I safely convert the tank back to fresh water, from all the added salt.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Water changes.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
:iagree:

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Why would you want to? Guppies thrive in salted water it is their natural environment

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Why would you want to? Guppies thrive in salted water it is their natural environment
The wild fish, Poecilia reticulata, is native to Venezuela, Barbados, Trinidad, northern Brazil and the Guyanas. It occurs inmany habitats from mountain streams to swamps and ditches, but are mostnumerous in very small streams and densely vegetated lakes and ponds.Introduced to numerous other areas in the world to eradicate mosquitoes butfrequently this has rendered negative impacts on native flora and fauna. Hobbyfish will almost certainly be commercially-raised.

Guppiesthrive best when kept in hard alkaline conditions and can tolerate highsalinity levels which is why they are often included even in marine communities.They are best kept in freshwater, and the aquarium should be very well-planted, including somefloating vegetation. Salt causes physiological issues for all fish, and "freshwater" fish should not be forced into this environment.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
... Salt causes physiological issues for all fish, and "freshwater" fish should not be forced into this environment.
That is not a true statement. I question the writer's credentials. The first part states they can be kept in saline conditions and then closes by saying they can't. Someone needs to review before publishing or quoting. Salt does NOT cause physiological issues for all fish. It is an issue for MOST freshwater fish with very few exceptions. Guppies, can thrive in marine environment as well as fresh. They are one of the few that can. They can be acclimated to marine conditions but you don't just toss in salt and expect them to be OK. Marine acclimation will take substantial time to achieve and most people have no desire to invest that much time or effort. For the record, Guppies are able to withstand salinity in excess of double the salinity of seawater. Which BTW, is not what the OP said anything about.

Salt will in effect damage the osmo-regulation process if not handled correctly. Salt is a common treatment for parasites. The process of adding salt to freshwater fish is very common as is putting marine fish into a freshwater system. Both are very effective at parasite control but must be done very carefully. It is not a task for the novice to try with marine fish.

The use of salt for guppies is common and not complicated. Salt treatment should be for a period of 14 days. On day 15, partial water changes can be started provided there is no longer any sign of infection. Reducing the salt should be gradual and not all at once. Just reverse of the adding of the salt. Neither case should be done all at once.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
That is not a true statement. I question the writer's credentials. The first part states they can be kept in saline conditions and then closes by saying they can't. Someone needs to review before publishing or quoting. Salt does NOT cause physiological issues for all fish. It is an issue for MOST freshwater fish with very few exceptions.
My apology for not being more specific and less general, and making it clear I was referring to freshwater fish throughout. Obviously marine fish was no where in my thought at the time.

And I was not dealing with salt used for specific treatment, on a temporary basis; my previous post was in response (to correct) the earlier post that said guppies thrive in a natural salt environment, which is not at all true.

Byron.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
.... my previous post was in response (to correct) the earlier post that said guppies thrive in a natural salt environment, which is not at all true.

Byron.
Thank you for clarification on your intent, You did miss this part of my comment "For the record, Guppies are able to withstand salinity in excess of double the salinity of seawater." So yes, guppies will in-fact thrive in a marine environment. They are one of the few fishes that can and will. As a breeder of guppies, I too, was shocked to learn this. This has been further evidenced in some shark species. I don't recall which ones but might be the thresher or the cookie-cutter shark (sorry, I just no longer remember).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store