100g planted tank stocking suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
I am looking for some colourful peaceful fishes for my 100 g 4 feet (120 cm) long planted tank. .

I do have and really like neon tetra, rummy nose tetra, fancy guppy, pink zebra.. They are really lovely and colourful. .But I find all of them small. . Atleast mine are not grown much (all around 2-3 cms)

Which colourful peaceful fish you will suggest which are larger than these?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Rainbowfish, congo tetras, tiger barbs, etc.
If your looking for vibrant blues and deep reds then rainbowfish would be the way to go. They come in alot of colors.

Would these new fish be house with the other fish you mentioned?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Rainbowfish, congo tetras, tiger barbs, etc.
If your looking for vibrant blues and deep reds then rainbowfish would be the way to go. They come in alot of colors.

Would these new fish be house with the other fish you mentioned?

Thanks for the suggestions ktrom. . I will certainly look at the ones you suggested. .

Yes I was thinking of keeping these together with the ones I mentioned I have but if that is not recommended than I can keep what I have in other tank. . Is it not recommended?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
If keeping what is already present in this tank, additions that will work include Congo Tetra, Black Ruby Barb, Characins (tetra) such as Bleeding Hearts which get larger, Emperor Tetra.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Thanks for the suggestions ktrom. . I will certainly look at the ones you suggested. .

Yes I was thinking of keeping these together with the ones I mentioned I have but if that is not recommended than I can keep what I have in other tank. . Is it not recommended?

Just wondering because now that i kniw you are i wouldnt recommend tiger barbs. They can be nasty with small fish.

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Excellent suggestions. . I will have them..

Can you tell me how much number they should be. . Not sure if I will get them at LFS but if I do then 2 each shall do? Or they need to be more?

And any particular type in those you recommend?

Apologies queries but I want to understand from your experience. .

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I have never had them but i have seen them. Im a fan of iranian( im not sure if this is the correct name) rainbowfish. They get a nice deep color. Bosemani ranbows can add blues and yellows as well. Im sure other here will give their experience.

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
okay is this what you mean:

albino congo:

albicong.jpg

congo:

congo.jpg

which congo from above two?

bosemani rainbow:

boesemani.jpg

red rainbow:

red.jpg

WOW the colors of these rainbows!!! agreed too good !!!

tiger barb:

tiger barb.jpg

emperor tetra:

emperor.jpg

i totally agree they are BEAUTIFUL.. very very lovely colors.. looking forward to have these beauties in my tank :)

i also love these shrimps:

redcherry.jpg

redcrystal.jpg

and these angels:

koi angel:

koi.jpg

veil gold angel:

veilgold.jpg

can i have these shrimps in this? and these angels?

appreciating your help...

albicong.jpg boesemani.jpg congo.jpg emperor.jpg red.jpg redcherry.jpg redcrystal.jpg tiger barb.jpg koi.jpg veilgold.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Excellent suggestions. . I will have them..

Can you tell me how much number they should be. . Not sure if I will get them at LFS but if I do then 2 each shall do? Or they need to be more?

And any particular type in those you recommend?

Apologies queries but I want to understand from your experience. .

If you mean how many fish for each of the species that we have been suggesting, it depends somewhat upon the species. Most of these fish mentioned--rainbows, tetra, barbs, as well as others like the danio, rasbora, some catfish--are shoaling fish, meaning that they naturally live in very large groups of hundreds of fish. Nature has programmed this need into the fish, and without sufficient numbers the fish can be very frightened, insecure, and in some species lack the social interaction they need; this causes stress, and stress is the cause of 95% of all fish disease. So keeping fish stress-free as much as we can is very important.

Most shoaling species are best with no fewer than six, but with all of them the more you can accommodate the better they will fare. But keep this in mind when selecting species, and acquiring them. With a 4-foot 100g tank you will have room for a decent-sized group of a species, but obviously be limited in how many species. We can consider more specific numbers when the species are more certain. When acquiring a species, you should try to get all of the number you intend together; in other words, if you decide on the Congo Tetra, and 10-12 would be a good number for your tank, get them at the same time. And a mix of male/female when this can be determined is best because you will observe their natural interactions more.

Angelfish turned up in your last post. This is a different aspect and has to be carefully thought out. Angelfish are sedate fish, meaning they are not active swimmers; they cruise gently around the tank. Boisterous fish swimming frantically all over the tank will unsettle angelfish, so these would not be good tankmates. And some fish will fin nip slower fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store