230g freshwater Ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iboG

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Medicine hat, AB
Real Name
Kyle
I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what kind of fish I want to put in my new 230 gallon tank... I did my transfer of my fish from 33 gallon and going from a slightly crowded tank to a tank where everybody looks tiny has me thinking a little bigger.

Currently I have 5 black skirts, 2 congos, 2 powder blue gourami, 1 tin foil barb about 6", a pleco, 2 yoyo loaches, and a couple snails. Bunch of hiding spots and have been using slate rocks from a busted pool table to spruce up the landscape and provide more spots.

There's 2 different ways I could go obviously. Have a massive community tank with huge schools or have a few fish that will get bigger.

Now I'm looking for advice and I don't know any acronyms really so please just use full words lol. If I go with community fish, what should I get for bottom feeders, midfish, and top schools?

What about bigger fish? I don't mind cleaning out my tank of the tetras and the gourami to make it an aggressive tank if the fish is likely to make them lunch. I've had some suggestions of the ghost knife fish and gar. Oscars. Any others? Any fish that go well to "fill in the gaps" of your suggestions? Would the fish(es) be the only fish in the tank?

I've been around for a while and know what I'm doing for the most part I think... but going from a 33 gallon to a 230 gallon is a big step and there's a lot of fish I could look at so I'd love everybody's advice.

iboG

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Medicine hat, AB
Real Name
Kyle
Oh and I really like bottom feeders that are active. My pleco can go to another tank for all I care. I really like my snails and my yoyos keep them in check so they don't get out of control. I had aquatic crabs and liked them but they kept eating my fish. The elephant noses are cool but I dunno of those are bottom feeders or not.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Add to the yoyo loaches and congo tetras and do either of the following:

1. More tinfoils, larger specimens like yours.
2. Add a bunch of skirt tetras and make two large schools with the congo tetras.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I agree with the above, fill out the schools a bit and and enjoy the awesome :)

iboG

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Medicine hat, AB
Real Name
Kyle
What size of schools would be best for both the skirts and the congos with 5 more foils?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

iboG

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Medicine hat, AB
Real Name
Kyle
Oh and how many more loaches? Can I replace the pleco with something else? Maybe an apple snail or 2? Or something else?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Others have made good suggestions for a community but since you have options and wanted more suggestions ill give you one. You could do a breeding pair of green terrors with a nice sized school (6-10) silver dollars. With a setup like this, you see interesting behaviors do to mating and parenting.

The one downside to big fish is big waste.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
If you feed a large group of black skirts with live food, they may breed in a tank that large with no predators. That would be cool in my opinion. I apologize if I missed it, but what substrate are you using? Planted?

I have panda and albino corys... they are a lot of fun to watch! They are bottom feeders and should also breed for you, but sand is best for them. If you don't have sand, it might be a better idea to have something else. Corys also prefer to be in a group. Maybe 8 in a tank that big

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

iboG

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Medicine hat, AB
Real Name
Kyle
I'm actually using the blue aquarium rocks from my lfs. I don't know how I feel about em... but I loved my pool filter sand and so did my loaches! Would yoyos and a decent group of corys work together? How many of each could I go?

Chances are I'll be switching the substrate because I'm really not a fan of the blue rocks...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store