Amazon sword rearing failure

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
I have been trying to bring up amazon sword for 5 years now. Seems I am a complete failure at that.

1. I have little to none sunlight
2. I used a 5 watts cfl now i usr 15 watt cfl.
3. I have a max of 90 gallon tank
4. Swords always turn brown and die.

The shopkeeper told me they need don't need sunlight always. In winters I get some sunlight directly so thats when they were growing fine. Then after January they all start dying.

I have good experience with fish. All my fish are above 3 years old. They are just fine hungry and happy I presume. I wanted to get some exotic low light plants from ebay. But now i doubt my capability to raise them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

WhiskeySunday

AC Members
Aug 18, 2013
Los Angles, CA
Real Name
Chris
They still need some form of nutrients either from the substrate using root tabs or liquid fertilization may help. I have Amazon swords in a dirted tank that have been growing beautifully. Something you may consider. It is an inch of potting soil covered with fluorite and sand.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I think light is one issue, and also nutrients.

Is this a 90g tank? With only one 15w CFL screw-in bulb? That is not sufficient light. Aquatic plants will grow fine with artificial light (they do not "need" sunlight, which can be trouble in itself) but the light has to be of sufficient intensity for the plant. I can suggest light when the tank/light you have is confirmed.

Nutrients can be easily supplied by liquid fertilizer once a week (after the water change). Swords are heavy feeders, and do benefit from substrate nutrients, but rather than tear the tank down it would be easier to just use substrate tabs. I use Seachem's Flourish Tabs and Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and have thriving swords. With moderate light over the tank--moderate being a subjective term between low light and high light.

Byron.

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
I see. Thanks for all the replies. So are your saying they are deficient in both light and nutrients?

The 15 w cfl already looks overkill to me. The aquarium looks like Jesus descending from heaven. So do I need more light ? Also will any kind of nutrient / fertilizer found on ebay will do?

Just for note, I moved some dying plants to a bowl and put it near window. No fertilizers no fish in it. And they are growing greener each day. All of them are back to life. The ones I didn't move are dying.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Raj, you need to reread Byron's response again. Learn from us, we've grown beautiful swords in our tanks.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Those plants need some help. They are massively undernourished.

Just like your fish the plants need to have their needs met.

Over the 90 gallon tank you'll need at least four 23W cfl lights. You'll want the daylight bulbs. With good reflectors you"ll need to have the lights on for 8-10 hours per day.

For the fertilizer you'll want to look up dry fert mixes online. Google search for aquarium fertilizer and micro-macro mix. You won't have to dose that much.

Goldfish can also munch plants depending upon the individual.

Finally just start reading up on aquatic plants. Once you learn how to grow them it is addictive to grow them.

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
Ok I got it about fertilizers but I need to confirm lighting. I am posting a few more pictures so you can see if light is sufficient or not. Please see and tell me if light is ok it not.

I have 3 fish in total two are 6 years old and bkg is 2+ years old. It's s complete cycling aquarium so ammonia is well taken care of.

I am a failure with plants I tell you. Total failure :( I want to try a anubias from ebay but am scared after seeing these swords.

uploadfromtaptalk1398185450163.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398185481818.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398185569363.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398185588702.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398185618091.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Please confirm the data for us. We cannot tell from photos if light is sufficient or not.

Tank size: are you sure this is a 90g aquarium? Dimensions are 4 feet in length by 18 inches front to back, and depth whatever?

And the light is just one Compact Fluorescent screw-in bulb, with a wattage of 15w? Or some other type of bulb/tube?

How many sockets for bulbs are in the hood over the tank?

Something is not adding up here.

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
I agree that we need more info on tank dimensions, and that the lighting is probably the issue.

I will also point out that goldfish are herbivores and are notorious for shredding plants.

Also, fertilizer-wise, swords are better off when you feed them at the roots than when you dose the water column. Either method works, but IME root feeding makes for lusher growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store