Ideas for a 130/or a 55

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Hi Guys!

So I posted before about setting up a Salt Tank and I'm still trying to learn more. I'm moving soon and have 2 options to set this tank up. I can either do a 130 gallon tank, or a really nice 55 gallon with hex shaped corners (still long though, just the corners are hex) and a sleek black stand.

Going to put the tank in the dining room which we're making into a bar area for drinking and hanging out. Want it to look kind of classy but not too upscale. Like a Craft beer pub type setting... anyhow, my thought is that the 55 would look awesome but obviously I could do more with a 130... We want the tank to set the tone for the room and go hand in hand with the bar and just make the room have that 'wow' effect.

So my question is this I guess... if you had the choice between these two empty tanks what would you do? What would you fill it up with?

Here's a few things I have in mind right now:
Prob going to do a FOWLR set up for a variety of reasons. I also would like to gain SW experience before committing time and money to a Reef tank... I'll get there some day, but when the time is right.

I am going to be on a budget of some sort, I just haven't hammered that out yet.

I also have begun grazing fish profiles and trying to determine what I can keep with what.

My girlfriend and I have keyed in on one particular fish that we both really would like to have as the centerpiece of our tank and that would be the Dwarf Flame Angel.

Preferably, I'd like to build it around that if possible but I'm open to all ideas! So what would you do?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Both are good sizes and offer good options. The 130 gives you more fish/livestock options and more stability but maintenance increases with size. Yes the tank us more stable but bigger water changes are the trade off. Also equipment needs get more expensive but not a huge difference especially with a FOWLR. You'll need a bigger mixing station, more salt mix, bigger top offs (more RO/DI water), etc. You can probably do a water change on the 55 with 2 x 5 to 7 gallon buckets.

What are the dimensions of the tanks? I would go with the wider of the two if space isn't an issue.

Flame angel works in both tanks. A harem of easier Anthias would be nice as well. There are some tang options with the 130 as well.

For me, clowns are a must but not everyone feels the same.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Both are good sizes and offer good options. The 130 gives you more fish/livestock options and more stability but maintenance increases with size. Yes the tank us more stable but bigger water changes are the trade off. Also equipment needs get more expensive but not a huge difference especially with a FOWLR. You'll need a bigger mixing station, more salt mix, bigger top offs (more RO/DI water), etc. You can probably do a water change on the 55 with 2 x 5 to 7 gallon buckets.

What are the dimensions of the tanks? I would go with the wider of the two if space isn't an issue.

Flame angel works in both tanks. A harem of easier Anthias would be nice as well. There are some tang options with the 130 as well.

For me, clowns are a must but not everyone feels the same.
Thanks Greech - I'll have to get the dimensions of the tanks again. Don't know them of the top of my head except I know the 130 is 6 ft long.

The marine forum is slower than the FW side of things huh!?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes it is. Poor misguided freshies don't know any better ;).

6' tanks make good tanks for swimmers like tanks and angels.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I too would go with the 130 if space allows simply due to the distance from front to back of the tank. This dimension is overlooked so many times by people wanting a "big" tank and when they have gotten it set up and start looking for stocking options they tend to be disappointed.

Yellow tangs are IMO very cool fish to have if you go with the 130.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store