About when can I move my 2 8-inch goldfish outside?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

svf

Jul 14, 2006
Falls Church, VA
www.madoboe.com
Real Name
Susan
Camera Used
My cell phone.
I have 2 goldfish in a 55. I would like to move them outside into a neighbor's pond, but don't know when would be a good time. I live in Virginia and the weather has mostly warmed up - we average about 45 to 75 degrees around now.
Thanks!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Should not be a problem now.

BTW, goldfish can remain in outdoor ponds all winter, provided the pond water does not freeze solid. I had goldfish in my pond, which is about 18 inches deep, and the water froze across the surface for a couple inches, but the fish were fine. They even spawned next spring, and the fry survived overwinter. Just so long as the pond doesn't freeze solid.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
It depends on the type of goldfish you have. Comets, Koi and such are fine. Some fancy goldfish can't take the cold as readily. I'd google temp tolerances for the type of goldfish you have.

svf

Jul 14, 2006
Falls Church, VA
www.madoboe.com
Real Name
Susan
Camera Used
My cell phone.
Just common goldfish. IMG_0768.JPGA neighbor left them (and their tank) with me about a year and a half ago. They need more room than this 55, as they have doubled in size. I will miss them, they are very personable fish! Sorry for the crappy pic.

IMG_0768.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store