How many female bettas for a 37g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I'm wondering how many female bettas I can keep in my 37 without issue. I do have a male in the tank, but he hides all the time and leaves everyone alone. I kept females with a male before in the tank and no issues.

Onther fish in tank:
5-6 Rummynose tetras
rainbow shark
3 corydoras (adding 2-3 more)
3 SA Bumblebee catfish
2 Kuhli Loaches, the others died off, might rehome the last two
spotted bulldog pleco
1 male HM Male

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I'd say no more than 4. Some of the fish you have will grow a bit large for your tank. The rainbow shark and te bummblebee cats may out grow you. I know there are two types of bummblebee cats and the S.A. may be the smaller of the two in which case should be fine.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I had 2 of the south american bumblebees for 5 years.. their max size is 3" while the asian is twice of that. None of my fish will outgrow my tank. The pleco maxs out at 5" and the shark 4-6" I do my research on the fish. When I got my pleco, I read up on him before I bought him.

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
My estimate is based on the fish you're already planning on adding (increasing your schools, etc). It doesn't matter that you can't see the fish. It matters how much bio-load they put on the tank. You've got a big fat 5 inch pleco in there. Do you realize how much they crap? Rainbow sharks grow to be like 6 inches long - that's a lot of bio-load for a 37g. They hide almost all the time. If you want to free up a lot of space, I would get rid of the pleco and rainbow shark. In your situation it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep a larger fish that you never get to see. I have a rainbow shark in my 90g but it doesn't really matter that I barely see him, because my tank is large enough that I can put lots of other fish.

Even if you follow the inaccurate 1" of fish per gallon rule you're talking about needing around a 45g tank without adding female bettas.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Not sure I'd try to keep any female bettas with a male (Assuming you're talking about Splendens)

As for stocking, I think that the shark would prefer something with more swimming room;

Frequent water testing should tell you if your bioload is too much for your water change schedule to handle.

I'd suggest finding out the species of Corydoras that you have, there's a large difference between, say, pygmaeus and Haroldschultzi... or maybe even a brochis.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I kept a breeding pair on angels in this tank for awhile, before my female died. I'm redoing the tank again and going to put the fish that i'm going to rehome in a pet carrier(those plastic ones) to keep them in till I can get them somewhere. I had the pleco for 2 months and hasn't even grown an inch, not sure why. I'm going to do a smaller schooling fish, maybe rasboras, since I like how tightly they school. My male betta is very skinny and has been beaten up by the tetras and he leaves the female bettas be. I put 3 in the tank.

Rehoming:
5 rummynoses
2 kuhlis(moving those to my 20g)
rainbow shark
spotted bulldog pleco

what I want to do:
single male betta (its a big enough and offers tons of hiding spots or no male)
6-8 female bettas or more of them, not sure.
6-8 Galaxy Rasboras
5 Corydoras, 3 peppered and 2 albino, currently have 3 peppered in the tank.

That a bit better for my 37, I am going to add another MarineLand 200 Penguin filter in a few weeks, i have one on it right now. I test my tank daily and Ammonia is always 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is between 5-10. I use the API Matser Test Kit. I test both of my tanks.

Since I mentioned my 20g and i'm moving fish around. Also rehoming fish from the tank. I am running two filters on this tank I have about 65 gallons worth of filtration on my 20.

What i have in this tank:
1 crowntail male
15 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Albino corydoras, these are being moved to the 37.
1 hillstream loach
2 Kribensis Fry, no idea where they came from, had a Krib pair awhile ago, the male killed his female and i ended up taking him to a LFS.
4 Skunk Loaches, might take these out.... they are starting to get nasty, had no issue, might return them to the store to get my money back.
Adding my 2 remaining Kuhlis to this tank.
Also the tank is planted quite well.

Might start get the skunk loaches, got to take everything out of my tank. Wish me luck.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I have a 2.5 gallon if he gets a little to nasty. Thinking of doing a King Betta for the 37, but before I get the male or anything esle, I have to make my car parment before I go ahead and do what I want, but I'll be able to move the fish around/rehome. Moving plants around aswell.

Guessing the stocking is better now for the 37 when I change it would. Might add Japanese Cleaner Shrimp to both my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store