Freshwater newbie here!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gr3mlyn

Registered Member
Apr 23, 2014
Would like to say hello to everyone. My name is Aaron and I have been a aquarium fanatic for a long time but just recently have decided to make it a hobby of mine. I currently have 1 30 gallon tank as well as just setup my sons 10g tank. I need some stocking ideas for his tank. I will be doing a Fish In cycle and currently placed my 2 females from the 30g in there to get away from the males. Below is an idea of what I may stock it with. Water changes will be around 2-3 times a week until cycled.
2 Female Fancy Guppy
1-2 Dwarf Frog
6-Neon Tetras
6- Glow light tetras
3- Ghost shrimp.

Is this to much for a 10g tank? If so what would be a better stocking plan?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hope the guppies aren't prego.....I would feel more comfortable if that was a 29g especially with the Dwarf frogs.....

Gr3mlyn

Registered Member
Apr 23, 2014
Any tweaking for the 10G would be helpful.
I just did some research of the female guppy and one is indeed prego.....

29g has 12 Neon Tetras, 3 male guppies, and 1 Dwarf Gourami.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would forego the frogs in a 10g. Might be better to put the 3 male guppies in it. The guppy fry will most likely be consumed by the tetras and DG in the 29. Best to keep guppies in a 1M/4-5 F ratio, but have plans for the fry. Or just keep males. Reduce your Glow lights to 2-3 in the 10g.

Gr3mlyn

Registered Member
Apr 23, 2014
I may have not worded it correctly. The females are in the 10g away from the males, Tetras and DG. Also the glowlights need at least 5 because of them being schooling fish correct?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The 10g will be too small for the F gups and fry....F gups can get prego for 4-6 months after being in contact with males....

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Presumably we are looking at the 10g stocking issue. I would suggest smaller (at maturity) fish, but we will need to know water parameters as many of these are more particular than the "bread and butter" fish mentioned. Though having said that, neon tetra are finicky fish, and many do not have good luck with them today, some of which I am certain has to do with too hard water.

Are live plants to be included? This can make a difference with fish, even if just floating plants.

And I agree with not including the frogs with fish in this small a tank.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store