A very underrated tetra

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I have 14 of these, does anyone else keep them? They school around quite tightly in my 225 and occasionally break off and form little groups. one of the most beautiful and interesting tetra species I have ever kept.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I'd also like to say Diamond Tetra. And that they look very pretty.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Yes, that is the Diamond Tetra, Moenkhausia pittieri. They are indeed beautiful in a planted tank that is not brightly lit. Yours are very beautiful and seem well settled. Lovely fish. Floating plants are good, not only for more shade, but this species will very readily spawn among floating vegetation. And they are prolific spawners.

Byron.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Awesome fish!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Oh wow, well I have a large floating plant and they are in my 225. I have had them about 2 weeks so I guess they are settled. I just walked into the LFS looking for a schooling fish and took every diamond they had in the tank. They make wonderful shoaling fish for a large tank, I see them displaying to eachother all the time. Is there any chance some of the fry would survive?

Thanks for the kind words guys, I`m working on getting the tank more planted, for now just 2 small java ferns and a large brasil sword. I find Diamonds hate red or pink colored plants and will pull them to pieces

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Oh wow, well I have a large floating plant and they are in my 225. I have had them about 2 weeks so I guess they are settled. I just walked into the LFS looking for a schooling fish and took every diamond they had in the tank. They make wonderful shoaling fish for a large tank, I see them displaying to eachother all the time. Is there any chance some of the fry would survive?
Possibly, depending upon the plants (these provide cover and microscopic food) and the other fish plus the Diamonds themselves. I have had fry survive once. Usually the other fish,including the tetra themselves, will eat any eggs they find. I can always tell when a fish is spawning because the other species will be huddled around the site and when the eggs are scattered the feeding frenzy is wild.

Byron.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Those are some good looking fish! Ive never seen them around but i sure hope i do.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too love them. I had a large school of them for a while. The second largest tetras in my tank, after the Bleeding Hearts.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Gorgeous. But without the headline I would never have pegged them as tetras, much less what specific kind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store