Bulging eyes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nikirushka

AC Members
Jan 28, 2013
A couple of weeks ago I acquired a 'new' 28g tank. Inhabitants prior to that were an 8" ghost koi and four goldfish (one 8", the others 4-5"). The koi was rehomed, the big goldfish died the day I went to collect everything but the remaining three fish are in my hospital tank (12g plastic box with power filter) to quarantine them while I wait for my pond to get a little warmer before I put them out.

Water quality was not good - I didn't test but these fish have been in that tank probably for a few years, and it hadn't been water changed in a long, long time. When I collected, the tank was half full and the water level had been creeping down for a while (the old owners are clients of mine, I've had my eye on this tank for 4 or 5 weeks). The fish while in there have been rather listless.

One of them has protruding eyes and seems a little brain-damaged - he goes a bit OTT about feeding, a bit scatty and when he tries to get flakes from the surface, pokes almost his whole head out. It strikes me as being abnormal, poor motor control type thing rather than overkeen, although all three fish are on the skinny side.

They are much brighter now they're in clean water and being fed more, but I do wonder about this one fish. This is the best pic I could get:

CAM02076.jpg

with the other fish for comparison. He has no other symptoms whatsoever, just a little thin but is in great health besides this. Any thoughts? I don't want to put any of them in the pond until I'm sure they're 100% as I have 24 fish already in there so don't want to risk spreading anything.

CAM02076.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store