Air bubbles in my substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I've noticed for awhile now that in all my tanks air bubbles come out of my substrate on a regular basis. Is this normal? Here you can see the air pockets that develop and once big enough the bubble is released from the sand. Just curious what this is about.

image.jpg image.jpg

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I think its just as you said, air bubbles. When i saw the title i thought it may have been anaerobic bacteria. But you didnt mention any fish deaths or wierd/ unusual behaviors. Have you noticed anything different with the fish?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
No issues with my fish, It's been doing this for a long time. Just never really thought too much about it. At first I thought my fish were blowing bubbles but after watching my tank at length, I see these bubbles coming from the substrate not fish or plants.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I had that for a little while. I know its not the best but if you tap the glass next to the bubble, you can make it float up to the top

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Did ya bury an airstone and forget about it? lol, I don't know why it's happening, but so long as it isn't hurting anything I think it makes a kinda cute addition.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Who knows, maybe I have some fermentation process going on down there! Not drunk, but my fish seem happy! Cheers!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
^^^ you can't go wrong with mts! Maybe sometimes you can, like with some puffers. They're super cheap on aquabid

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Will MTS get along ok with my ramshorn and apple snails? Do you think adding another snail species will cause snail "overload"?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
They'll get along fine. And it shouldn't cause an overload as long as you don't excessively overfeed the tank. The ramshorns and mts will only reproduce if there's excess food.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store