Where oh where has everyone gone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mermaiden78

AC Members
Oct 23, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Real Name
Dana
Just wondering where everyone went? Did a lot of people leave the hobby or just the forum? This place was hopping about 9 years ago (when i was a NOOB)! If you are active post something here so I can learn everyone again :D

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I think life got in the way of the hobby. Alot people have to quit the hobby because work, kids, school... You know... more important things.

Im on everyday. I try to give advice and help where ever i can

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I am right with zig on the work issue. Plus I have not had much to report with my tanks.

Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I am right with zig on the work issue. Plus I have not had much to report with my tanks.
This about sums it up for me as well. I still like to check in when I have time though. Got some plans for my 29g in the near future though. May have to post for that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Only the cool people post...... ;)

duffer

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Just wondering where everyone went? Did a lot of people leave the hobby or just the forum? This place was hopping about 9 years ago (when i was a NOOB)! If you are active post something here so I can learn everyone again :D
I talked to a former owner of a very successful fish store. He sold his store in 2001. He thinks the hobby is in total free fall. Tropical fish stores are closing like bowling alleys and arcades across the country. The kids nowadays are into computers, tablets and gaming systems, not aquariums. If you go visit a tropical fish club, most of the people in attendance are usually over 50 years of age. Unfortunately, it's an old persons hobby and new people are not filling the vacancies when other people quit or die. Also it's an economic problem. The youth today are saddled with huge debt from college. Many can't even find jobs or can afford an apartment or car. And now exploding mandatory health insurance costs is taking away lots of peoples disposable income. The hobby is not cheap. So young people just can't afford to get into the hobby even if they wanted too. It's very sad. I've searched quite a few tropical fish forums the last few days. So many popular forums are now deserted with only limited posts. Another friend of mine visited a large trade show in FL last year. He said it was totally empty compared to 4 years ago. He wondered where all the buyers went. I believe another trade show was cancelled in New Jersey this year due to lack of interest by vendors. Unfortunately, it's a sign of the times.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
One of the main problems is that it's hard to compete when everyone and their mom has a facebook group page.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
lots of people just went back to lurking. :)

or facebook.

I think you should find as many people as you can. and bribe them all to come back. :D

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I used to be one everyday a few years ago! Sometimes MANY times a day. But like has been mentioned….life has become quite hectic. Don't have quite as much disposable income either. but I come on when I can. If I see something I can help someone with I do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store