Growing anubias vertically?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I'd like to get some hight out of my plants. Do you think if I oriented the rhizome vertically the anubias will keep growing vertically? I've only seen them horizontally. I tipped my 90 degrees about a week ago. It seems ok so far.

image.jpg

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've tied mine to a branch that points up and they rhizome tends to follow the branch..I did notice they tend to grow horizontally but you may be able to 'train' it to grow up . I use the branch much like a trellis

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
If I see the rhizome bending toward horizontal, I may fix it to vertical stick.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Get driftwood of the appropriate shape and use super glue.....

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Good suggestions...

Just a reminder; anubias tend to shed older leaves as they grow so by the time yours gets where you want it, it may be more rhizome than leaves.

Mark

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Ha! I was thinking of hot gluing it

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
I am sure it prefers to grow horizontal, but I have some growing attached to a rock and as the rhizome grew it ran into another rock and began growing up against it. The same thing happened on a piece of wood. I agree that having the leaves at a different angle might make them die eventually. Maybe try starting with smaller clippings of anubias and point the growing part of the rhizome towards something vertical that will angle it upwards.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store