Got my Hawaiian Red Shrimp!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Bought 15 for $30 from a local breeder. We have them in a flower vase. No filter, did seed it with a whole mess of ceramic rings from my QT filter. It's brackish water using marine salt. They've been in there for about 2 weeks. All are doing great. All eating well and no deaths. These guys are very active, they all swim around the vase. I have java fern which seems to be doing ok in brackish water. I put frogbit in there but after a few days it turned brown. I guess it does not tolerate brackish water. I hope they breed as easily as my RCS! Here are some pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Those are some very bright reds. Great pick up!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Very nice curious to see how quickly they breed and if the color holds up with the light substrate. Been thinking of starting another shrimp tank with them if they breed quick enough to be used as occasional feeders.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks guys. I'm curious to see how quickly they breed and how fast they mature. They are rather small, so not sure if they would make for good feeders. they do have nice red color, much better than my low grade RCS. Will keep you posted on the breeding situation.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Oooh, very red!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, they're all doing fine; none have died. But none have shown any eggs and we've not seen any baby shrimps yet. Maybe they're not old enough? We feed them maybe once a week. I wonder if they need more food.

Finesse

Registered Member
Aug 29, 2010
I feed mine powdered spirulina/ blue-green algae, BBShrimp & marine pellet "dust". They tolerate my neglect, but aren't very red, nor do they multiply. "Opae ulae" are neat tho!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store