Is my Fishless Cycle Stalled?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

omarion0815

AC Members
Apr 26, 2014
Saint Augustine, FL
Hello, I have been two weeks into a fishless cycle. My Ammonia is not dropping, and Nitrite is not rising. They have been the same every day for two weeks. Here are my readings:

Ammonia: 4 PPM
Nitrite: .25 PPM
Nitrate: 5 PPM
Ph: 7 PPM

Also, I am using the API Master test kit, and Aqueon water conditioner as my dechlorinator. I would like to know what to do in order to let my cycle continue.
Thanks,
Omar

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im not to good with the cycle process but im pretty sure dechlorinator interacts with ammonia to detoxify the water. Maybe you should go a few days without using dechlorinator and see if anything changes. Also I'd like to add that there is no need to using dechlorinator just yet because you have no livestock( or at least you didnt mention any) its just a waste of money to use it IMO

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
try not adding ammonia see if it drops
also give it time it takes a few weeks to get the cycle to even kick in

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Two weeks isn't enough time. It can take 4 weeks before you see nitrites, then longer for nitrates.

Keep using the dechlorinator, as chlorine can kill beneficial bacteria.

Like Star rider said, stop dosing ammonia, or do a water change to lower the ammonia level slightly to see if that helps. Definitely go easy on the ammonia once nitrites start to climb.

I wouldn't even bother wasting the nitrate test drops for now. Eventually that's what you'll need to use the most.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
It would also be a good idea to 1) test your source water (tap?) and 2) absolutely make sure you are using the tests correctly

The tests can be a bit finicky and results are unreliable if you aren't following the directions completely as written. I say this because I'm a bit concerned that you aren't seeing any decreases with water changes (e.g. a 50% wc should cut numbers in half). Also, that's a rather quick showing for nitrate without much nitrite in between, so possibly either your tap has some noticeable N background values or the numbers are incorrect.

omarion0815

AC Members
Apr 26, 2014
Saint Augustine, FL
Okay, I've tested my source tap water, here are the results:

Ammonia: 2 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 0 PPM
Also, I am using the tests correctly, I've read the manual that came with the test kit. And I have done 6 water changes, and the tests have been the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store