Gravel Vacuums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I'm looking for a good but cheap gravel vac. that will let me suck out the grime from the fish but allow me to put the water right back in the tank as I go. The only way I have to do it right now is to pump the water and grime into a bucket and then pouring it back in with the fish net to catch the grime, which is difficult, time consuming and messy.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You should be able to refill with fresh, dechlorinated water. this will help keep the levels of dissolved stuff down too.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Why not use fresh water? I mean assuming you do water changes, clean at the same time you are removing old water to be replaces with treated fresh water. If you have plants it will replenish nutrients they use as well.

Sent using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Adding to the previous two posts, you could get a python or one of its generic equals, remove the grime along with water, then replace with new water and dechlor. all with the same equipment. The python was one of the best inventions to hit the hobby in a long time.

Mark

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree...if your faucets are python-compatible (and there are ways to make that happen if not), then it is by far the easiest method. It's pretty much a flick of the switch to start refilling.

I've used a knock off brand, although I forget which one.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think knowing the size of the tank would let me know if I'd use a Python or not,

personally I think < 20g is more hassle than it's worth.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I think knowing the size of the tank would let me know if I'd use a Python or not,

personally I think < 20g is more hassle than it's worth.

really??

I have several 20's in my fish room along with 29's.. I use a python on them all

it still avoids the 'bucket brigade' mess ..
but that said
Is the OP looking for a filter that reuses the water?? pulls out sludge..etc..

personally I wouldn't recommend these filters as they don't help with fresh water replacement... and will not help reduce much of the TDS (by doing routine water changes.)

there are filters like this on the market but with normal tank maint. they are not needed.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
really??

I have several 20's in my fish room along with 29's.. I use a python on them all
let me rephrase,

it sounds like this is a single tank, I would not use a python for a single, small fish tank; I find it less work to siphon into a couple of buckets and then refill using buckets or buckets and a quart soup container than I do to unroll the python, perform the water change, drain all the water from the python and put it away after emptying the water from it. If I'm doing multiple tanks the python is most likely to be used. In this case, only a single tank was mentioned.

something powered that will handle gravel vacuuming without changing water..... I'd likely go with the Cobalt power gravel cleaner (linked) or a Magnum filter (HOT or Canister) with the available gravel vac attachment, I wouldn't waste my money on one of the air or battery powered ones.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
On the initial question, I agree with everyone else. You should vacuum the substrate during the weekly water change, replacing the removed water with fresh, conditioned of course (dechlorinator, or whatever you need in your situation). The "old" water is not good for fish, no matter how much detritus.

On the discussion of python vs buckets and tank size, I can see value in either method. I now use my Python on all tanks, including my 10g and 20g, though I must be very careful filling as they fill very fast. And I have a 75-foot Python because the laundry room tap is at the other end of the house from the fish room. Sometimes I end up almost jogging. I used to use a pail on the 10g, but gave that up after surgery last year when I couldn't lift it, and now I am used to the Python even on this tank.

Byron.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I should have said that sadly I only have a 12 gal tank and I was just wondering if it were possible to vac without pulling the water with it.
How do you treat the water as you're putting it in the tank with the python?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store