Tiger Barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Just out of curiosity, what fish would be good tank mates for tiger barbs?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
How big is the tank?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
My only experience with tiger barbs makes me want to say only more tiger barbs. But you can probably do something if the tank is big enough.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Greg is spot on. Tiger Barb are best in a group of 10-12, in a 30g tank, and as the sole species, aside from some appropriate substrate fish. Adding this species in with others is more likely to be successful in larger tanks, and your 100g is certainly fine. Just make sure you have a good-sized group; I would say here that 15+ would be best.

Then, for other tankmates. Do not consider any slow or sedate fish, or fish with flowing fins. This is just like waving a red flag in front of a bull; while the bull may not charge, it well may. Other relatively active fish from the cyprinid family work well; some of the other barbs, danio, or the larger rasbora. Some characins can work, but many can't. Substrate fish should generally be OK. This is a good tank for some of the "Botia" loaches, in a species group of 6-9.

Byron.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
In a 100 with Tigers,

1) Lots of Tigers, at least 10.
2) Maybe have different Tigers (Moss Green, Albino, ect).
3) Larger Fast moving fishes--Giant Danios, Golden Barbs, Dennisons, Bleeding Heart Tetras, ect.
4) Bottom feeders that can fight for their food--Botia Loaches (I would not go with Corys, they eat too slow==Slow starvation).
5) Medium Cichlids (Rainbow, Firemouths).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store