Has anyone used this filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lann

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Sunny East Coast
Real Name
Lori
I have a 55g that currently has (4) Hydro Pro 5 Sponge Filters & even though the tank stays clean I don't want to keep cleaning 4 filters every 2 weeks.

I was looking for a decent priced submersible internal filter that can handle up to 50 gallons within a budget of $50.00 or less on ebay & came across the CA 900 Internal Aquarium Filter.

Has anyone on this forum used this filter and if so can you please provide me with a review? I would need to purchase 2 of these filters for the aquarium and before I paid $25.00 each, I would like to get some insight on this filter or another recommendation.

On a side note, I have used canister filters in the past and do not care for them.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I know you don't like canisters (I'm curious as to the reasons, if you don't mind), but in my view there is no better filter for this sized tank than a good canister. It is easy to clean (once every 3-4 months is sufficient in most situations), doesn't take up internal space, and they do a tremendous job.

I have seven tanks, and my three largest (70g, 90g and 115g) each have a canister, while the others (33g, 29g, 20g) each have a dual sponge filter. My 10g has a single sponge.

Byron.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Personally, I'd go with a couple of HOBs over internals if you don't want a canister filter. They take up less aquarium space and are much easier to access for media cleaning/replacement. I've never tried that specific brand of internal, but I find a lot of HOBs (particularly Aquaclear's) seem to be more flexible with media options as well since they don't necessarily have to be sealed as tightly shut.

The only potential problem would be if there isn't much space behind the aquarium.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I have several catalina filters all canister filters.. those are pretty good, low maint good flow etc.

the issue I see with the ca900 is the capacity... I suspect it's similar to other internal filters in design with chambers for media.. but this one appeats to have a good sized power head... if it has the flow that I suspect it does.. it will do a good job of filtering.. BUT... you may find yourself doing quite a lot of maint on this filter lots of flow= lots of trapped detritus and if the filter pads,sponges are as small as I suspect you will find yourself opening and cleaning these quite often

if you think the sponge filters are a bit much for maint..then consider what would happen if you attached a power head to your sponge filters.

I have small internal filters on a few tanks and these require maint 2X week

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
I only fear hose breaks and the like with cannisters,..Normally I run a good size sponge in conjuction with HOB..that way in case of spawn,..I shut down the HOB..

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Aqua Clear HOBs are very easy, low maintenance. I find sponge filters & sponge prefilters on canisters or HOBs, need weekly or every 2 weeks rinsing. I don't think I''d be "up for" internal filter maintenance like our European brethren, they take up a lot of tank space & more care than I'm willing to give.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Several mention HOB, but I have two issues with these. Years ago I used them too, until I came home one evening to the smell of burning oil and discovered that the power had apparently gone out just for a few moments (the clocks told me this) and the HOB had drained dry when it restarted and the motor burned out.

My second issue with HOB, and a much more significant issue for the health of the aquarium, is that the intake and return are together. This is not so bad on small tanks, but on a 4-foot this is not good. The filter intake and outflow should be at opposite ends of the tank. This is the only way to ensure complete movement throughout the tank. I have seen studies proving "dead zones."

If the present-day HOB's have solved both these issues, OK. But I doubt the second issue could be solved.

Byron.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
"I only fear hose breaks and the like with cannisters,..Normally I run a good size sponge in conjuction with HOB..that way in case of spawn,..I shut down the HOB.. "

Get over it! The hoses aren't going to attack you, get a canister and stop working at your hobby. Only thing that might be better is a DIY sump.

Last edited:

lann

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Sunny East Coast
Real Name
Lori
I ordered the filters and they have been running in the tank for 5 days with no problems.

The 55g is home to (1) adopted female RES & she seems to take a liking to swimming through the currents these filters create.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store