California Drought affecting your fishkeeping?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the1stpsycho

AC Members
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was just curious if anyone living in drought areas is having any kind of dilemma. I don't live an area of drought but every time I do water changes I cry a little inside watching the water go down the drain. It doesn't bother me enough (yet) to give up having fish but it is something I think about. I live in an apartment so I don't have plants or a lawn that I could water. I am curious what others thoughts are on this situation.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
start a garden at your apartment. I have no land but a small portion of the parking lot i converted into a garden and all of my tank water from WC goes in the soil to feed the food plants like papaya, kale, peppers, basil, tumeric and ginger. But, I am only on the second floor I can see where the 5 floor and up can become very difficult.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^cool idea. That's the only trade-off of living in Arizona...we have TONS of water here :thumbsup:

the1stpsycho

AC Members
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have thought about doing an indoor garden but my apartment lacks the light necessary for that type of an adventure. I would need artificial lighting and that is also and energy burner. I am thinking about doing some small aquaponics trials to see what I can come up with.We also have no parking it is Brooklyn after all.

I wish I could convince the management company that gardening on the roof is worth it. I am already trying to get them to opt in to they NYC organics (composting) pick-up. Baby steps!

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
if you could talk them into a roof top garden that would be awesome. One of my dreams is seeing a green, food producing top on every building three stories and over.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
How big are your tanks? Couldn't you just fill a 5 gallon bucket with water change water and pour it on a plant outside? The plant and its planter will appreciate it!

I pour mine on the flowers outside the front door of my business. They definitely appreciate the fertilizer water :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store