sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Are there any quarries around you? Look up sand in the yellow pages, you'd be surprised. I got 2 20kg bags of #3 sand as a free sample from a 'local' quarry. I use quotes 'cause it was about a 20 minute drive each way, but hey, I've got tons of sand, diameter about 3mm.

Alternatively, look for sandblasting grit, I can't remember the mesh number, maybe #2 or #3. Or, if you just wan playground-style sand, hardware stores like Home Depot or whatever have play sand and masonry sand or 'general purpose' sand. It's all the same stuff, just be sure that you're not getting something with cement added or carbonates.

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
awsome ideas. thanks. I was thinking about getting some eels and im reseting up a tank and im not sure what im gona end up doing. but I like the look of the sand and thought eels would be cool.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Originally posted by vaheelsfan
I just set up my first tank with sand, and used the Quikcrete Play Sand from Lowes. It was like less than three dollars for a fifty pound bag, which was the only size they had.
Beat me to it!

I'll add that at Home Depot at least there were two different brands of playsand. Quikrete and Southdown. Quikrete is fairly inert, although it does have a little limestone in it, while Southdoan has crushed coral in it. The crushed coral will raise the KH of your water. not necessarily a bad thing but you shoul dbe aware of that.

Also, be real careful when adding the water into the tank with the sand. Use a plate or a bowl in the sand to pour the water into otherwise you'll have a sand cloud for days. I didn't run my filter right away either in order to let the sand settle.

Tom

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
not sure in f.w. but in s.w. it's a pretty simple process. All you have to do is add your sand then fill tank. leave your filter and anything else you use to move water off then start your cycle. The bacteria living in the sand bed will more or less glue it together and that will solve your sandstorm and floating particles issue pretty fast. IME it takes around a week or two in a salt tank. I've never tried a sand bed in fresh water though so this may not work. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
hth
chris

Toro Driver

AC Members
May 9, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
Something I pulled from these forums.

Rinsing it is easy. Put it in a bucket and stick a hose to the bottom. Most of the stuff that will cloud your water can be rinsed away this way. My first attempt at sand gave me that cloud for days and mud in my filter.

My second attempt I rinsed it using the above method then filled the tank (45) with the water splashing on the rocks and got no cloud what so ever.

Works great.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Originally posted by fishcowboy
So, has anyone here used it in FW? I've been considering it.
My tank is 29g fresh and I use it. In fact, I just filled the 10g I'll be putting some dwarf puffers in with it. I didn't rinse it but I did put a saucer on the sand and pour the water gently onto the saucer. I have monimal amounts of sand clouding the water.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store