Japanese Trapdoor Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rhama343

Registered Member
May 2, 2014
Hey everyone I am new to all this and I just bought 2 Japanese Trapdoor Snails and now I have babies popping up in my tank, I read somewhere that the trapdoors require male and female snails to reproduce, is this true? How can you tell the gender of the snails? How long does gestation take, etc I would like to make sure everything goes well with my tank, since I have only had them for a couple months I am looking for as much info as I can get, thank you to anyone who informs me!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I have kept JTS for well over a year, and i love them! Here's the low-down...

They are Male or Female, It's very hard to tell if they are one or the other, but you ever see two "riding piggy back", you can rest assured that the one on top is the male.

They bear live young, so it is possible that you might even have had 2 females that were pregnant when you got them. It happens. I don't remember the gestation period, but I have found that as soon as I introduce mine to a new environment (change in tanks or ponds) they tend to reproduce. It's probably a survival thing. they will not "take over" as long as you don't overfeed the tank.

They are great cleaners, and they will generally live long happy lives in both tropical or cold water tanks. That's probably all you need to know :) If you get over-run, drop me a line, and I'll take some off of your hands.

Dave

Rhama343

Registered Member
May 2, 2014
Thanx for the info Dave, I did just move to another province so the water is different which could be why all of a sudden I have babies in my tank now, I wish I knew the gestation period,

tumbz

Registered Member
May 20, 2014
These snails clean like crazy! I love them! They can quickly overrun an aquarium though. I keep like 1 -2 in my aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store