What is that brown algae called

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Someone told me it is common to new tanks and it runs a 3-4 week course and will automatically die off for good. I can't remember the name of it but it starts with a "D". I don't want to keep a dirty tank for 4 weeks either. Is this information correct? Here is a photo of it on my plant and glass.HPIM2919.JPGHPIM2920.JPG There is also some beard algae starting to grow off the leaves and on my driftwood.

HPIM2919.JPG HPIM2902.JPG HPIM2920.JPG

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
D is for diatoms, which are not technically algae but single celled critters that often appear in new tank setups. They like silicates, phosphates and low light levels. If you are good with water changes they should subside pretty soon.
You should be able to wipe them off the leaves to some extent with a bit of sponge.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Diatoms is the name of the brown algae that often appears in new tanks, initially; it can occur subsequently under certain situations. If it easily comes off the plant leaves with your finger, this is what it is. But another "brown" looking algae is brush algae, which appears as dark brown, very dark gray, black, dark green...although technically it is a red algae. This will not easily come off.

I can't tell from the photos which this is, but your finger test will tell you. Though I would suggest it is probably diatoms, as I can see some on the glass in one of the photos. It has the appearance of a film and as I say easily comes off.

Byron.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Diatoms... Thank you. That sounds like what it is. I could gently rub most of it off the leaves with my fingers but the glass took a bit more scrubbing. So, do I have to let it alone to grow and eventually die or is that someone's misunderstanding? I would just prefer to clean it every week when I do the water changes.

PS- I see the extra photo of my Jewel got thrown into the photo's of my plants. Sorry about that.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Glad to hear it will go away at some point... even if it does come back periodically. If that is the only problem with my tank, I would consider myself a lucky aquariast. (Is that a word?) Thank you.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would try to keep plant leaves clean. Otherwise the leaf can be suffocated and the plant could die. Although I do not usually suggest fish for solutions, as they generally have other issues that can be even worse, this is a case where a species may help. Depending upon the intended stocking of the tank of course, as any fish added has to be compatible to the overall aquascape. The so-called small algae-eating fish will devour diatoms; otocinclus, farlowella cats, whiptails, Bristlenose pleco. Just be aware that these have specific needs too, and may not suit all situations.

Water changes as another member mentioned will help, along with less rather than more feeding of fish. And encouraging plant growth. In new tanks the biology is not yet established, so algae has the advantage.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store