My new 20 long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Got a great deal on CL recently and I am just starting this 20 L planted tank. This will be mostly plants and my shrimps from my 12 G which will be shut down after moving everything over. I bought a Beamswork LED, a great value at around $50 shipped, for this tank. Tank is only 12 inches high, so this 0.5W x 54 LEDs at 6500K is probably overkill. All my other tanks have PFS but I've read that play sand also works great for plants. So I went to Menards and bought their play sand. I always wash my substrate until the water is clear. But oh my, play sand is SO dirty! I spent hours washing this stuff today. Compared to PFS, it's much finer grain and so it seems to compact more than PFS. I hope my plants grow well in this sand to. I've also read that play sand is darker; more brown than PFS. When I looked at it in the bag, it was brown, but after countless rinsing, its more gray than brown. A bit darker than my PFS but very close. After putting it in my tank and with my LED lights, it's not dark at all actually. I really like the fine particle size and the light color. It's almost white under these lights. Anyways, I just wanted to post that not all play sand is dark brown. This brand when rinsed countless times turns almost white! Now I need to think about how I want this tank to look!

I bought this at Menards, It's like $3 a bag.

IMG_0490.JPG

Just got done filling the tank, yes I need a background! Look how bright the sand is. I moved the canister from the 12G to this tank, so this tank is "cycled" on day 1. The 12G has a HOB also, so that tank will be ok.

IMG_0487.JPG

Close-up of the play sand.

IMG_0485.JPG

My 12 G shrimp tank that will be moved to the new 20G L.

IMG_0486.JPG

I'm not a fan of dark substrate, so I'm so happy how this is turning out!!!

IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0486.JPG

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I'm loving the play sand in my new 55... It does take some time to eliminate the haze, but it's good stuff! You need a colony of black worms in there to keep the sand aerated. The plant roots will do the same. You'll love how easily it plants and how quickly plants adapt to it as opposed to larger particle sands and gravels. Cheap and easy like I like my women. Wait... Um...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, I spent the better part of today moving all the plants over to my new 20 long. I had way more RCS than I thought. It's incredible that I only started with 12 of them back in November I think. I think it looks good, but I think I want one red plant to give it pop. Maybe I'll replace the money wort. But I like how it looks. I stuck about 10 fert tabs and added liquid ferts also. I hope these plants don't melt too much from the move. It will be a low tech, no CO2 at all. It has bunch of RCS, some ghost shrimps and 2 cories.

IMG_0491.JPG

Left side

IMG_0492.JPG

Center

IMG_0493.JPG

Right side

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0493.JPG IMG_0494.JPG

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Looks great to me! It should do just fine as a low-tech tank.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks! My daughter says we should put some fish in there. Maybe some CPDs if I can find some.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
CPDs would look great. Some of the microrasbora ( boraras species i believe) would also would great.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store