Semi-Aggressive 120 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimberlya

AC Members
Apr 28, 2014
Hi Everyone I'm new to this forum and my name is kimberly. I recently started a 120 gallon tank. I currently have albino cory's, snowball pleco, blackskirt tetras, an asian redtail catfish, algae eaters, redtail sharks, and bala sharks. I wanted to mke it into a semi-aggressive community tank. Can you give me some fish that would be compatible with my current fish? I would prefer sharks and catfishor colorful fush but I'll take any suggestion! Thank you!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Kimberly, i hate saying this butnyou would benbetter off with less fish, not more. Reason insay this is because you asain redtail catfish will get too big for that tank. If you can try to rehome some fish. Itll make maintainance easier for you and less stressful for the fish. Not trying to be rude just helpful. If you need any help with rehoming or other advice, just ask. There is plenty of brains to pick at around here!... Except ZorroNet... Dont touch his brain.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kimberlya

AC Members
Apr 28, 2014
the catfish honestly hides in the skull. he never comes out. He's about 9" long now.

I was looking for a home for some of my blackskirts but there aren't many enthusiasts in my city :( I don't have many of the others and the tank is pretty relaxed. Let's see...

I have 10 blackskirts, 5 bala sharks, 2 redtail sharks, about 8 cory's 1 large algae eater (9"), my snowball pleco, and 2 small algae eaters (1 inch)

kimberlya

AC Members
Apr 28, 2014
by the way is it strange that my cory's don't stay at the bottom? I used to have some in my 10 gallon with non aggressives but they still swim all over the tank. I hardly ever see them actually feeding you know?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I do agree that the Red tail cat is a big concern considering their size and the possibility of eventually eating any smaller fish. They are tank busters (a quick Google search will show you their potential size), and not really suitable for most aquarium sizes in the hobby...I think it would be better to start looking for a new home for the RTC rather than others, since it will need to happen eventually, unless you're thinking about a much bigger upgrade down the road (i.e. a good-sized pond).

If you're having trouble finding a suitable owner, I would strongly suggest asking at one of our sister sites, http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/

The people there are dedicated to keeping LARGE fish, although to be honest, I'd assume that even the majority of the people there do not have the means to keep an RTC. BUT, they likely know of better ways to go about the situation than I would.

In terms of stocking the rest of your tank, I'm not the best when it comes to semi-aggresives, so someone else would give you better advice there...but I will ask, do you happen to know what species the large/small "algae eaters" are? My guess would be a type of "common" pleco, or maybe a Chinese algae eater (CAE), but if you could post pictures it would be helpful moving forward with your stocking questions.

slayer5590

AC Members
Nov 5, 2011
Ft Worth TX
artc and rtc are not the same fish. rtc get along well with most fish they can't eat but get to 4' and over 100 lbs. artc grow to around 3' and don't get as bulky, but they are stone cold killers rarely getting along with anything. if your algae eaters are caes they will be very aggressive as well.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
My mistake, I missed the "asian" modifier...if that is the case, then the situation is perhaps a bit less dire (edit: in terms of size) than I made it seem ;)

That being said, I would also be a bit skeptical about the common name anyways, since LFS aren't always the best when it comes to labeling...a lot of times adjectives are thrown on just to be flashy...

Last edited:

kimberlya

AC Members
Apr 28, 2014
I want to say that the algae eater is a gold chinese but I'm not 100% sure. I'll post pictures but I have to wait until he's out because he hides inside a sunken ship

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store