Lights suggestions for planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Hi,

Can you please suggest good lights for below size pressurised co2 100g planted tank :

48 x 24 x 21 (inches)

120 x 60 x 53 (cm)

L x D x H

I currently have 4 x 54w GE StarCoat T5HO but the light intensity seems low..

Looking forward to suggestions. .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
How far are the lights from the tank? What temperature bulbs are you using? I agree that 4x t5hos should be plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Thanks axel and jpappy for your inputs. .

Lights are around 8 inches from water surface. . Is that near? Far ? Reasonable ? And it's 6500k...

It's a new scape so don't know much the effect on plants yet. . But yes there is pearling and growth of already tall plants happening with the existing T5HOs..

What i realised is that this fixture had a protective glass cover on the front. . I have now removed it and I can see that now intensity has improved and I see some pearling now till bottom grass level as well. . This was not happening earlier with the protective glass cover on the front. ..

The reason I would look for better lights is that now-a-days I see more "comprehensive" fixtures with lights and metal helide if needed and more importantly it has moon lights for viewing in the night after photo period. . Let me know if you know any good ones. .

Also please tell me this - is it necessary to put protective glass cover on front or your fixtures have no protective cover on front (meaning are your tubes open touchable?).. I worry if this can have water moisture to reach on the reflector and if that can corrode the reflector. .Don't know at this stage for my fixture. . Are your fixtures open from its water side or it has moisture preventing cover on the front?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Last edited:

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
It's a new scape so don't know much the effect on plants yet. . But yes there is pearling and growth of already tall plants happening with the existing T5HOs..
My thoughts are: “if it aint broke, don’t fix it”

However if you are looking for lighting with good PUR that will not grow as much nuisance algae, and also provide the same amount of light with much less energy usage, you might consider looking into a GOOD 6500k LED light such as the TMC Grobeam

Here are a couple resources:
http://aquariumopinions.com/2014/04/30/economy-planted-aquarium-led-fluval-aqualife-tmc-aquabar/
http://aquarium-digest.com/2011/12/19/tmc-grobeam-1000-customer-review/

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree with Gregg...if your plants are doing well, and it seems so, then I wouldn't change anything at this point.

I really haven't looked that much into the really high tech fixtures, but it seems that the "all in one" programmable models are geared more towards use for saltwater/marine setups. From what I've noticed visiting plant-specific forums, a lot of members are either sticking with multiple bulb T5HO or switching over to LEDs, and those have only really popped up for hobbyists within the last few years.

I can't comment on the potential moisture problem though, I've only used an open fixture with metal reflectors over non-aquatic plants.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I have open fixtures over my 29g. They've been there for about 9 months now and no issues. I think they are around 8-10" from the surface. So as long as they are far enough and you are careful enough to avoid splashing into any electrical parts it shouldn't be an issue. I rotate mine to the side when I'm working in the tank and my canister outflow no splash.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store