Shrimp, Scuds and Astaxanthin Powder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Here is the deal, I have a tank full of not so colorful RCS. I recently obtained some scuds and put them in the tank with the shrimp. As far as I can see there are no issues, but wanted to check the brain trust to make sure. They are in a 20L with java moss wisteria, oak leaves and a sponge filter rated for 125gal.

Next, I got some Astaxanthin and Spurlina powder from Ken's Aquarium as I heard you could use it for Betta first food. Turns out it makes a wonderful Betta fry starter for the first 3-4 days. Odd thing is it turns the Betta fries tummys red. I put some in the microworm cultures and the spurlina turns the worms deep green while the astaxanthin trns them hot pink. The color change proves the worms are eating it, so it should benefit the fry by virtue of gut loading the worms.

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
That is simply... cool. I've never heard of gutloading something so small.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I wonder if you can gutload vinegar eels...

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Don't know about that one, not sure on the VE's biology. I just finished trying the spurlina on freshly hatched 2 day old brine shrimp and they are now pale green after two days. The only probem with these test runs is now I have to set up two groups of fry to study growth rates and colorization. I'm going to do the initial experiment on Endlers fry. I have a line of blond Endlers and if it impacts color it should show easily, especially in the males as their male coloration is odd to begin with. Endlers are also pigs and will almost eat as much as you will give them so the results should come quickly. I just hate it when the only thing I know is that I don't know. That's a fish person for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store