I Have An Empty 29G Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spider_Song

AC Members
May 6, 2014
Cache County, UT
Real Name
Chevy
I have an empty 29G tank that I would like to turn into a cichlid tank. It's nowhere close to being set up but I would like advice as to what cichlids would do well in a 29G tank. To cycle it I would like to do a fish in cycle rather than a fishless cycle. What would be the best way to go about that?

All advice is welcome, thank you! :cool:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I have an empty 29G tank that I would like to turn into a cichlid tank. It's nowhere close to being set up but I would like advice as to what cichlids would do well in a 29G tank. To cycle it I would like to do a fish in cycle rather than a fishless cycle. What would be the best way to go about that?

All advice is welcome, thank you! :cool:
Do you have another tank running? seeding the new tank with bacteria from another tank would be ideal.. just move over some filter media or something.

maybe have a good read through this thread also :-

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?84598

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'll echo my comments on fish-less vs. fish cycling that I already posted in your 20g thread...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?277765-New-20G-Tank-(8-Viewing)

And add that the link doug posted lays out the actual process pretty well.

In addition to the suggestions by Captain Jim, I'll also add that there are quite a few smaller species from Lake Tanganyika (rift lake) that would fit in a 29g...but that would be a completely different layout.

To be safe, I would stay well away from just about any Lake Malawi/Mbuna species, any of the larger and more aggressive Central/South American species, discus, etc.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'd be hesitant to suggest a fish in cycle with cichlid's particulary SA cichlids as most are very sensitive to water conditions.

if you attempt fish in maybe start with a a school of small fish or a single cichlid but.. you will need to be ready to do large water changes daily until the tank cycles.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Heavily planted tank with 2 pairs of GBR's, 6 or 7 Cherry Barbs, and 5 Panda Cories.

As for cycling, start with plants first. Cherry Barbs are inexpensive so once plants are set and growing, add a few. Once you get the number you want, add the Cories. After they've settled in, add the Rams. If you allow 4 weeks between each phase, you shouldn't have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
"Shellies" would probably be the better option IMO if you're going for a Tanganyika tank, mostly because I'm a big fan of them...but there might be some other Neo/lamprologus that would work, or some of the smaller Julidochromis species maybe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store