Mating Oscars Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Hello,

I have a 135g which has 3 oscars who were quite happy together for the first 8 months of their lives. Suddenly a few weeks ago two began terrorizing the other. The other is just as aggressive to the two. Anymore I can't tell who the aggressor really is. I built a divider for the tank out of PVC pipe and vinyl screen door material to keep them from killing one another as a temporary solution.

Two or three days later the two oscars in the larger partition claimed one end of the tank, uprooted all the plants, and made the telltale bowl in the sand as their nest. The rest of the fish have been in hiding for the last few days except at food time.

On one hand I must be doing something right for them to pair off and feel like procreating. On the other hand, what do I do? I will not permanently divide the tank with the screen and I would like my other fish to be able to swim in peace again at some point.

Do I need to find a new home for #3 or will this territorial phase pass?
What do I need to do if they actually lay eggs?
Trading baby oscars would certainly give me enough credit at the LFS to stock my other tank with anything I could want.

Would anyone who has bred oscars please give me some pointers?

Thanks,
Nate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store