Guppies in a Biology Project...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WhatGuppies

Registered Member
May 6, 2014
Hello, I am a sophomore in high school and I have to do a new Biology project after my other failed due to product failure (I was going to grow and study triops, but the eggs didn't hatch, and my teacher gave me more time). So while I was trying to think of a good project my teachers fish caught my eye, and I was wondering what project I could to with them.
I have had fish before: goldfish, zebra fish, oscars, angel fish, and basically a lot of normal, fairly easy to take care of fish. But I have always been interested in guppies. I was worried to ever have them though because I heard thy reproduce like crazy, and I don't have any room for a butt lode of cute guppies. So I refrained from having them. However my teacher told me he would be willing to take the fish when the project is done and that his kids will LOVE them.
So I want to take any buy 3 guppies, 1 male, 2 females. I have done some research and know that the containers I will be keeping them in is not a very good size for them I know, but it is all I can use. There are 4 small plastic animal carrying cases I will be using. I will put all 3 fish in one container and wait until the females have been fertilized. Then a little while after once I can tell they are pregnant I will remove the females and put them in separate containers the same size as the one they were in before. Once the fry are born I was going to put the females in the same tank and the male in a separate one(I don't need anymore offspring after that). I will observe to see what parent the offspring look more like or if it is an even mix for both.

I only have a few questions...

1. I know the containers are too small, but they will only be in them for the project, then they will be retired to a much bigger tank, but is it possible that I can find or make a cheap SMALL filter??

2. I know how much to feed the guppies as adult, but WHAT do I feed them??

3. What and how do I feed frys??

4. Will the male get lonely from being all alone in his tank? (It will be near the others so he can see the two females and his offspring)

5. Is there any thing I seem to be missing apart from a heater??

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I don't know the volume of the "small animal carrying cases" but it is not advisable to have fish in too small a water volume. Ammonia will be high and even at very low levels this poisons fish. I can't suggest alternatives, since I am not really clear on the aim of this "project."

I can however correct some misunderstanding. Guppies, scientifically Poecilia reticulata, are livebearers that are now classified in the subfamily Poeciliinae of the family Poeciliidae. The majority of species are either true live-bearing species [termed viviparous] or have internal fertilization with the eggs hatching before being laid so that the female produces live young [termed ovoviviparous]. The subfamily has genera in the Americas and Africa; except for one genus, all the American species are live bearing. There are also some egg scattering species in the subfamily with external fertilization, and these all occur in Africa. The distribution of the subfamily in Africa and America suggests that the Poeciliidae pre-date the separation of Africa and South America that occurred during the early Cretaceous period some 130 million years ago. Live bearing subsequently evolved in the American species but not the African.

If both sexes are to be housed in the same aquarium, there should be more females than males to provide some rest for the females from the attention of the males. Maintaining males and females in the same tank will result in regular batches of fry, and once impregnated, a female can deliver several successive batches on her own [this is known as superfetation]. Thus, separating male/female after the first batch of fry will not prevent continuing batches of fry being produced, and rapidly. Also, in batches of fry, this impregnation can occur before the males attain their colouration, so fish must be separated out very early if the aquarist wishes to selectively breed them, and if not all the females within the brood may end up being fertilized. Fry require hiding places such as thick floating plant cover, or they will be readily eaten by the adults, though not all of them obviously.

As for feeding fry, fine powdered flake foods will suffice. If the project allows, you can look into live foods. Whichever, just recognize that you will have hundreds of fish within a few months. I doubt if your teacher is prepared to take all of these (lol).

Byron.

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
A sponge filter would be a good choice. You can get an air pump ft or about $15 new and 4 sponge filters on ebay for about $9. I am not sure what size containers you are talking about. I have seen them ranging from less than .5 gallons to 2 gallons in volume.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store