Just set up my new tropical tank :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
Hi all,
I have been thinking about getting into fishes for so long, and yesterday finally made the jump.
I have set meslf up with a jewel 3ft tank, and all the other bits.
I have used pond water from an establised pond to help the tank cycle faster and I am hoping to start putting in fishes really soon.

I was thinking of starting with something like Guppies and then maybe Catfish.
I'll post some pictures soon but in the meantime I am sure there is loads I need to know so what advice can everyone offer to a semi-n00b (as I have read up quite extenivly) but theres nothing better than experince and people who now what they talijng about :D

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Congratulations and welcome.

Read the stickies at the top of the page to get aquainted with all that's involved in cycling a tank. Water from a pond won't help you much with the cycling I'm afraid. The nitrifying bacteria that break down ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates don't free float in the water column. They colonize portions of a tank that see a lot of oxygen exchange like filter cartridges.

You'd be much better served grabbing a chunk of filter floss from an established tank to speed up the cycle. Also, once you put the bacteria in the tank, you haven't much time before you must add fish or the bacteria will expire. Just how much time is up for debate. Some people will tell you hours and other will say days. Either way its best to play it safe and the fish within hours of adding the bacteria.

Tom

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Another thing that can happen is that if there is algae in the pond, which I'm pretty sure there is, there will be algae spores in the water you transported. Now if you also have a UV sterilizer on your pond this shouldn't be an issue.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I wouldn't worry too much about the algae as it would get in there eventually. It is just a matter of doing weekly water changes and not overfeeding your fish that will help keep the algae low.

Make sure to get some test kits, especially ammonia and nitrite. When you first introduce new fish these levels will start to build. When they do it is time for a water change to help keep the levels low enough not to harm your fish and shorten their life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store