Aquarium Rack Height Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi,

I'm looking at building an aquarium rack and I'm trying to decide if I should go with a rack of 20 long aquariums or 29 gallon aquariums. I want to ensure there is enough space between each of them to easy work in. Three of the 29 gallon tanks will probably end up being to tall, but would 2 of the 29s and 1 20L be OK, or should I just go with a 3x20L rack?

Thanks,

nterry

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
How much height clearance do you have? I would make sure you have at least 8" between the bottom of the upper level support and the top of the aquarium (10" is better). Also you want to make sure you have the lower tank some distance above the ground so you can siphon it out for water changes and be able to look at it.

For my fish room I built a staggered rack where the lowest tank was actually set in front of the back tanks. The top of that tank was then flush with the bottom of the tank behind it. You could probably do a rack like that with a 29 in front, a 29 behind it, and a 20L on top and have enough room to get a storage tote underneath the rack for storage.

Andy

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I use regular aquarium hoods on the lower tanks in front. I put LED strips underneath the upper row of tanks illuminating the middle row. And an LED strip light on top the upper row myself.

But you could do a variety of things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store