29 gallon stocking ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sierra0103

AC Members
Feb 8, 2014
St. Louis Missoru
www.instagram.com
Real Name
Alex
Camera Used
Nikon D3100
I currently have a 29 gallon tank that has nothing in it except for some rocks and gravel.
Has been cycled for about 5 months now.
I have no idea what to put in there. I wanted to do a petal gourami and some kind of rosabora but don't know. Any suggestions guys?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
By "petal gourami" do you actually mean pearl gourami (T. leeri)? I'm no expert on pearls, but I've always thought they needed a bit more space than a 29g (particularly if you wanted to do more than 1), but maybe an individual would be ok. If not, you could do a smaller gourami species like a dwarf or a group of honeys or pygmies.

I've been a fan of harlequin rasboras, although I've recently found their smaller cousins T. espei to be even better in terms of color. Plenty of other smaller, schooling-type fish that would fit that same mold even if you aren't hung up on them being another species of rasbora...tetras, barbs, danios, etc.

Sierra0103

AC Members
Feb 8, 2014
St. Louis Missoru
www.instagram.com
Real Name
Alex
Camera Used
Nikon D3100
Lol yes sorry for the spelling error. I mean pearl gouramis.
I might go with the dwarf or Pygmy.
I might wanna do a barb thing? What barbs could I do? I've had about 6 tiger barbs in a 10 gallon once and they were great fish.
If I put some tiger barbs in the 29 gallon could I put anything else in there? I know they are notorious fun nippers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I wouldn't do tiger barbs with gouramis. As you said, they tend to be fin nippers, and while keeping them in groups seems to lower that urge, I woudn't risk it if you want to keep a peaceful community.

If you want barbs, I'd highly suggest cherry barbs. Easy to take care of, pretty colorful, and not all that hard to find either.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I agree with jpappy. Cherry barbs are a beautiful fish. Very easy to sex too. Males are bright red and females are dull. Sort of reddish brown. If you can keep the male:female ratio 1m:3f.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
If you decide tiger barbs aren't the way to go, I'd suggest 3F/1M Sparkling gouramis. A mix of regular and albino cherry barbs, all male for color purposes, and some corys. If you want to spice it up just a tad, add 6 male Endlers with the above.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You have a lot of different options, just a bit more limited with the tiger barbs since you'll definitely want to stay away from anything that's going to be picked on (i.e. things with flowy fins).

I really like sparkling gouramis (for some reason I referred to them as "pygmy" gouramis earlier, my bad) but I seem to have bad luck with them myself...definitely a no-no with tiger barbs though. As henningc alluded to you'd want to keep them with smaller, less imposing species.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree with what others are suggesting. But I will go a step further on the Tiger Barbs. If this is the fish you decide on, I would make it a species tank, with just the Tiger Barbs [Puntius anchisporus is the now accepted scientific name], in a group of say 12. You mention rock and gravel, so adding a few bits of wood, say branches or bogwood, will complete an authentic habitat. And one other addition is possible with this, and that is a group of one of the "dwarf" species of loach. Five or six of the dwarf loach, Ambastaia sidthimunki , or the banded dwarf loach, Micronemacheilus cruciatus, should be fine. I have both species, they are indeed lovely.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store